1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ebay purchase not shipped, should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by jyc860923, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but this is the first time I'm buying from an overseas ebay seller, French to be exact.

What's so different that it seems to be from our domestic sellers is one, he/she doesn't update shipping status a week after payment has been made; and two, there's no response other than giving me a "Paiement rapide, très bonne communication. Parfait !" rating.

The seller has got very good ratings so I don't think there's need to worry, however I'm not sure if that's normal with ebay purchases, should I be concerned?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'd ask for a tracking number, but not all carriers have tracking, especially internationally.

If you paid with PayPal, you're fairly protected.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Thanks Barry, I made the payment with Paypal, I think I just have to wait:boohoo:

4. Magical Emerald

Magical Emerald Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2015
    Yes paypal is always protected and secure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I had a similar situation with a domestic seller. 100% feedback and he waited a week after payment to ship a guitar. Gave me conflicting stories and twice told me it shipped already and would not send me tracking, so I know he was lying to me and in the end said someone else shipped it for him. Was fishy, but did get it eventually and it was in excellent condition.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Steve I think it's not rare on the ebay that someone sells something that he/she has to buy elsewhere first.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I do think that happens for sure, but this had photos, was used and the price was so low there's no way he made money on it. I also thought maybe he was disappointed in the sale price and took his sweet time.

But yes, I'm certain people sell and drop ship items w/sales and rebates and try to flip them. Nothing really illegal about that.

8. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I bought a new lens from Japan several months ago. I didn't hear anything about shipping after I paid. The seller had great feedback so I just waited. A couple weeks later it showed up, new as it was supposed to be. I wouldn't get too concerned yet. And if something does go wrong, you have a reasonable amount of time to file a claim. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If I don't buy my postage through ebay, sometimes I forget to go back and mark it shipped. I don't know if it means anything that the seller didn't do that. Ebay can be confusing if you aren't a frequent seller.

I'd always welcome a buyer to ask for an update, though. So if you are concerned, send the seller a message.

10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    yeah that probably means nothing though, the seller looks definitely experienced, and he just doesn't reply to my messages. I shall wait, if nothing happens after 20 days I think I'd have to open a case over at Paypal right? I don't like to have to cancels this deal...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I recently bought a used mac book pro from a local/ish seller, I received it quite promptly but still 3 weeks after delivery the status has not been updated to "posted" and he hasn't left feedback either. Still, the mac book is exactly as described and I am very happy with the purchase. He has 1000's of great feedback and I would buy from him again, some people are just so slow or indifferent.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'd say that about half the sellers do not bother to set the shipped status. Not answering is more unusual but I've seen this too. Or he is waiting for a few orders to build up before going to the post office. I usually try to think that if he's a private or a small business seller he probably just got caught in the usual personal life routine.
    You can also start a claim within ebay, this does not imply a negative feedback, it's just a more official way to alert the seller.

If nothing happens start the case before the time limit for the claim expires (was about 30/40 days from the purchase years ago) and I'd start one both with Paypal and the credit card issuer. Messages or claims done through ebay system do not count for Paypal or others.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I´ve bought lot of stuff from ebay, checked the last months transactions and about 1/4 of them "wasn't shipped", but I've recieved everything. Funny thing is that some of them gave me rating but no dispatch though they sent the items.

Only once I've had trouble with a delivery and had to contact seller, but she fixed that right away. I always check ratings on seller before I buy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Have they responded to you? There is a limit to how long you can wait to raise a dispute. I wouldn't wait beyond that window. A dishonest seller can stall.
    If they are responding to you and have good feedback it should be fine. I still wouldn't wait too long though.
    You can always cancel a dispute once resolved.

FWIW I once had a shipment from Russia take a month to arrive in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'd bet money it's been shipped. Lots of good feedback is worth too much to risk. If it doesn't show after 3 weeks, you can open a case. Don't bother to panic, Paypal has your back in the worst case scenario.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I appreciate very much all the help guys, this is the right place to ask, thank you!
    Rob I want to know how to do that as you and Klorenzo both have suggested, if the seller doesn't reply at all, I don't know where to find the claim/dispute button in ebay, I'm aware that I can ask for money back in Paypal though, thanks.

update: I've found the resolution center to file a dispute :) thanks rob