ebay prices

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lchien, Aug 7, 2014.

1. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Hi, I'm fairly new but in the past month or two I've upgraded from an Olympus Megazoom SP590UZ I got in 2009.
    I go way back with Olympus having acquired a fairly large investment in OM system components including four bodies and a handful of lenses plus some macro equipment from the 70's and 80's. Finally decided the technology is maturing to where I can buy an Digital ILS system and not have the cameras become obsolete a year later.

I'me a bit of a eBay surfer and I have been looking at MFT lenses for auction out of curiosity and actually bought one and a PEN E-PM2 for fairly low bucks to back up the M10.

So my question is, I see, for example, M.Zuiko 75mm f1.8 lenses for sale, many at the currently published retail prices at $899 (apparently dealers with eBay stores), a few used ones for slightly (but not a whole lot less) and then to my surprise, a fair number for 1099, 1100, and as high as $1300-something. I can't imagine who they sell these to, unless there are foreign countries with import restrictions or perhaps no local importers resulting in very high local prices?

I sometimes see current stuff on ebay thats priced above retail, but this seems quite a bit beyond that. Who buys these overpriced lenses?

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's free to list stuff - at least up to 50 items a month, on the slim chance someone might buy it at a silly high price. But no harm in trying. I used to prefer ebay when there was a lower final value fee, but a small listing fee - and the lower the starting price, the smaller the listing fee. That way, you didn't have these ridiculously over-priced stuff cluttering the site, and the chance of buying something at a real bargain price was substantially higher.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Yeah that's the other possibility - just fishing for a fool. Doesn't seem like that many fools would be around but I guess for no listing fee, you can always dip your line in the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.