Ebay OM-D E-M5 w/ 12-50mm Refurb for $995?!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by JStheoriginal, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013

I'm in Canada so it exchanges to about $1,022 CDN plus $35 shipping. So about $1,060

Anyone think this is worth it? Only 3 months warranty vs 12 months new. Plus depending on who processes it at the US/Can border, they may not charge tax (additional savings). Photo gear is duty free already, though.

My conflict is that sites in Canada have this camera for $1,149 plus 5% tax free shipping, so $1,205. But then there's the current $150 rebate on buying an additional lens at the same time....so the refurb savings kinda go away, right?!?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Link doesn't work here. Question is - were you going to buy those extra lense(s) anyway? Keep in mind that rebate fulfilment is also a pretty leisurely process. I've been waiting 8 weeks for mine (from early January)...

If warranty is a concern, you can buy a full Olympus 2-year extended warranty for Refurb gear within the initial period for < $100.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    I was going to get an extra lens eventually...the rebate is helping make my decision to get it now.

I'm thinking the 17/1.8 Oly is a good choice as a first prime?
  4. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Ask yourself if you are comfortable with a 3 month only warranty for a large purchase. Things do go bad and the price difference here is not significant.
  5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Cross border warranties are always a crap shoot - I'd ask myself if I were comfortable with no warranty at all, and think of it as buying used. If the OP is thinking about taking advantage of the rebate there is no point in skipping out on buying new directly in Canada.
  6. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    I've had a bad experience with an Olympus refurb a couple of weeks ago. It was an E-PM1 kit and came in a really bad condition cosmetically. The coating on the LCD was scratched up and the body was scuffed up too. I would make sure the seller has a good return policy before placing the order.
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Was it from the seller linked? Considering some other items from the same seller on ebay. A seller who seems to have ok feedback.
  8. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    This appears to be the same seller that offered the multiple refurb Oly 75mm f1.8 recently. He is located just outside Austin, TX.
  9. OM Dude

OM Dude Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Ku'u home o Honolulu
    I bought an Olympus 4/3s 150mm from him last year. Said it was refurb but indistinguishable from new. when I received it , it was just as he said. The packing could have been a little better but the lens was primo. I used the lens for a project and was able to sell it for close to what I purchased it for. I acn't speak for all experiences but he was responsive to my questions via email.