1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ebay metal lens hoods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bokeaji, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So thought id try out eBay for some cheap metal lens hoods after seeing someone on a leica forum talk about them
    Ended up ordering a 37mm and. 46mm. In black and silver, so they'd match the lenses... I accidentally swapped the colors tho, oops! Lol
    The seller was rainbowimaging, they shipped super fast, and even replied to a couple questions I had very quickly... I've got them now, and have one on the 20 and it seems great.
    I'll have to go to precision and see if they have the official 12 metal hood and compare their build quality. Tho for the $9+free fast shipping I paid, this seems fantastic!

You can also see my strap from phat straps, and my vf-1 I got from steve here
    Oh. And the larger grip over a silver ep3 with black aki asahi skin

- Eliot

Edit to add pics from phone

Attached Files:

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good thing your camera is a mix of black and silver. The mixed black/silver lens and hood matches good with the body. ;) But if you get a new body (like say an all-black one) you'll have to pay an extra $9 each to get the right colors. ;)

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sharpie markers are free in the drawer! Lololol

- Eliot

Edit

Speaking of black bodies, I think my leica will be all black... I was all about the black and grey one, but the blacks growing on me!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1/ Can the front of the hood fit a standard-sized lens cap?

2/ What's that strap you've got?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's threaded... But it doesn't say a size for those threads. So. I'm not sure. Lol

It's from phatstraps.com. Just google "corduroy camera strap"
    I thought it looked retro 70s and never heard of anyone with one. So I had to have it! Lol

Here's the other mismatched on the 17

And a pic of the threading all inside the hood

Attached Files:

6. Hey Eliot, thanks. It looks like it would fit a cap, maybe 55 or 58mm. Actually if would be good if you could mount a cap on the inside...maybe you can. I reckon the silver hood on the 20mm looks good.

I had a look at phatstraps' website. Those straps are offtap, a bit like the Hippie straps I've seen on eBay.

I picked up an old Olympus OM strap last year for my E-P1

5473700362_abbea133c5_z.

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oooooh I love yer strap!

Yeah I think a pinch cap would work. But near impossible to get yer fingers in enuf to put a cap on that looks like the ones that come with the 17&45

Putting one on the very outer edges would work also, as it levels out from the cone-ish shape for a few thread turns. However, you'd still have the vent holes open. So dust could still get in.

- Eliot

8. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    After your review and pictures here, I ordered a few for myself. Looks goood!

9. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    If all of these hoods come from the same factory, a 55mm lens cap should fit.

SFYrg.

• Like Like x 1