1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

eBay help needed: returning from USA to UK

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BBW, Feb 11, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I hesitated to do this but I need some advice and some facts. I don't need to do it on the open forum if this is inappropriate, but I need to get some help from one of our members from the UK with a problem I've been dealing with regarding a return of an item to the UK from the USA.

The general question is why if I paid shipping, insurance, etc., to return something is there a charge to this person on the other end of a V.A.T and a Parcelforce Clearance Fee equaling 32.12 pounds?:eek: I was first being charged for it (not returning my $ in total)... I claimed I wasn't responsible since there was nothing on their returns descriptions regarding this..the saga continues, now he is "willing" to only make me pay 16 pounds. Is this normal?

And could do me a favor and let me know what the exchange rate really is? At this point it's adding up to a rather large amount in shipping to me, from me and now this. Any help would be much appreciated.:hail: Thanks!

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    BB, I'm so sorry - I remember reading your PM but it slipped my mind.

I'll e-mail you now.

Cheers

Brian

3. BBW

Thanks Brian!

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    BB

I would think that it goes like this:

AFAIK

1). Anything coming into the UK will be caught by our customs people and VAT, (standard rate is 17.5%), will be charged to the recipient, (if it is applicable - i.e. generally from the EEC there is no VAT but from other countries there would be UNLESS the item is exempt, zero rated, or it is proved that the item being returned to the UK was purchased in the EEC VAT paid - (how you prove this is another matter)

2). Items have to be "cleared" through UK customs by a "clearing" agent and they charge a fee - Parcelforce, (part of the old Royal Mail), in this case - they would have a minimum fee - the agent is responsible for ensuring that the Revenue get their VAT

3). The agent and UK authorities, would have applied the exchange at the time, but depending on which rate they used, and there are a few, it can vary by 10% - if you use 1.5 or 1.6 you will not be far off.

the above would be the general "state of affairs"

BB
    anymore queries fire away

5. BBW

Thanks Bill. I think for now I'll continue my discussions offline and will send you a PM. Brian has also been kind enough to email me. Thanks so much to you both!

6. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    BB,

An of the cuff suggestion...Why don't you try selling it on eBay for a Buy it Now price equal to what you paid? It may work and you may save yourself the hassle of dealing with the return.

Just a crazy idea.

Antonio

7. BBW

Antonio, thanks but I've already sent it back. Just been dealing with customs, etc. fees levied over there that I was ignorant of... Thanks so much for trying to help. I think we've come to an agreement that is far from ideal but is better than spending endless days working on trying to make things right. Caveat emptor and all that, right? daz.

8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Our customs are a major pita! You never know quite how much you will actually end up getting charged, or how long they will get held up for. Seems worst getting anything from the states for some reason. I generally avoid buying for the US now because of the customs uncertainty and excessive charges.

Sorry to hear about your experiences and hope you get it all resolved soon.

9. BBW

Thanks John, if I'd known then what I know now...but it ultimately worked itself out with me being out more money than the seller, that's for sure. Live and learn, as that other old saying goes.:wink: