1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ebay) E-P1 w/ 17mm pancake lens VF1 NEW for $190

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by thomastaesu, Aug 16, 2014.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
  2. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    $190 is including the shipping. List price is even lower. ;-)

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Unfortunately, it comes with an E-P1, which is probably the LEAST functional Micro 4/3 camera that you can buy.

That being said, you should have mentioned that it also comes with a Lexar 8 GB SD card (worth $5 or so) and more importantly, the VF-1 optical viewfinder, which is worth at least $35-40

4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    With a black Akai Asahi wrap it's also one of the prettiest! The lens and VF are definitely worth the asking price for the right person.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I did it! Made an offer about $20 below asking price and it was accepted, so if you are on the fence, give the offer a try!

My wife has been wanting a nice-looking camera and wants some kind of viewfinder experience. We'll give this little guy a try and if it's not the experience she (or I) wanted I should be able to come out on top reselling with that purchase price...
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

• Like Like x 2
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Be sure to do the firmware upgrade that makes the AF a bit faster. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same 12 MP sensor that all the older mu43 cameras have and it's made nicer. It's a nice deal with the 17 and the VF1. :thumbup:

7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have owned this combo since it was first released. I still use it for street photography and as another poster stated, with a black leather wrap, the camera looks fantastic. The EP1 has a superb build quality and takes amazing images. Don't underestimate the 12MP sensor, using RAW, this camera can take wonderful shots with enough headroom in PP for editing.

The 17mm F2.8 is a good quality pancake. Focusing is reasonably quick on the EP1 and when stopped down, the results are above average. As for lack of function, I would dispute that. I also own the EPM1 and EM1. The Minis have little or no button functions and the EP1 has a lot more direct access with buttons to commonly used functions. Enable the SCP, configure the buttons/dials to your preference and you have a very capable camera.

If you plan to shoot JPG, be careful with the WB on this camera. Later 12MP olympus bodies had better auto WB than the EP1. For less than $200 this is a bargain. Best of luck.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    With the firmware upgrade, do you still consider the focusing to be slow? It sounds like Panasonic had quite an edge in the early days.
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like a good deal! You basically got a free camera with your OVF & 17mm lens! :wink:

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    With the newer 14-42mkII AF speed increased a little (ditto the 45) over the original kit lens (which is actually quite large compared the the mkII) and the 17.

The VF is apparently pretty useful with the 20 too.

It is a lovely camera (as is the Pana GF1) - stick an adapted lens on it (or bodycap or fisheye) and it makes a handy backup camera + if you zone-focus you won't need to worry about AF speed.

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    of course this happens the same effing day I list mine for sale in the classifieds.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :rofl: Don't worry. It's gone now.

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Amazon link is still active!

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Really? I've wanted to buy one of these. . .

16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's the understatement of the week. Brilliant concept. Decent aesthetics. But the execution... You couldn't pay me to take one.

19. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I don't know why all the hate for the E-P1, what specifically is so bad? Yes it's slow but it's how many years old now?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I don't think it was terrible camera 5-6 years ago, but even then, the Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras performed better in terms of focus and and ergonomics. The fact is, every Micro 4/3 camera since then, from both Panasonic and Olympus, has been better in AF performance, and at least equal in terms of sensor performance and ergonomics.

That being said, you COULD pay me to take one - I just wouldn't use it before using every other digital camera I still own.