1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

eBay dilemmas

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 20, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    On the weekend, I'd put up my last Leica accessory on line and made it pretty clear that it was for Australia only, a day later I received a message saying it was sold. When I checked, the buyer was apparently from the UK. I contacted the buyer and said this was only for Australian buyers and the buyer responded saying they would pay for a courier to come around and pick it up, as well as:

Now this got my alarm bells ringing, as this all sounded way over the top (even though I've noticed these items selling for around three times the price in Europe). But what annoyed me the most was that the buyer didn't contact me first to see if I was willing to send it overseas and how we'd go about it, they just selected buy it now and left me in a dilemma. I've always contacted a seller if they don't list overseas destinations and sometimes they change their mind and other times not, but I feel it's an essential courtesy to contact them first. The messages from the buyer got more desperate and that made me even more hesitant.

The thing is, I've seen this sort of wording posted in other forums many times, and it's typical of scammers buying stuff and then saying it wasn't as described, not paying for the item, and you end up in the lurch. Now the buyer may well be genuine, but it's often hard to tell, even looking at the buyers details, so I'm not sure if I'm being too cautious or not. It doesn't mean that the same can't happen in Australia, but sending such internally with registered post is less hassle. Has anyone else gone through such dramas?

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Yes I have had people buy and then ask for it to be shipped outside the UK, it winds me up as I normally will send to main land Europe if asked. I would not send the item and cancel the sale, something about the email and just buying with out asking for a relatively expensive item would leave me worried. I have sadly been ripped off by ebayers, so I am a lot more cautious.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've simply relisted the sale. The purchase didn't even appear in my PayPal account, which is another thing that surprised me, but then I haven't sold anything for a long time, so can't remember how quickly a payment should appear. I was ripped off once, which is why I'm so cautious nowadays.

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You did the right thing.

If you said 'Oz only' then you'll be in the clear. I like Ebay because of the prices but dislike the chancers I sometimes find there.

5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    you did well. Better for the sale to go south, than getting hustled. His answer indeed sounds very suspicious.

On ebay (and here) if i'm really interested in the item, and the shipping is limited to non EU countries, i'll send a message to the seller asking if he's willing to ship here. If yes-great. If not-no problemo. But common courtesy is required, it's not $1 cheapo ebay headphones we're talking about here.

6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Be careful. There are plenty of people in the world trying to scam others. An over anxious buyer willing to pay more and send a courier sounds suspicious.

I don't know what they are up to but in the US, this type of thing happens on Craiglist routinely and they are trying to pass of very good looking "fake" bank checks.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I agree, there's always a risk, but in this case the whole series of responses from the buyer (I only posted a small snippet) seemed to be way over the top. No one could be that keen for such a simple accessory.

8. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    IMO this is only an issue if you didn't get any other bids and you think there may not be much interest (new bids) in your re-listing. You were clear about the terms of sale (Australia only) so they don't have much in their favor if they are a legitimate buyer and complain to ebay. Re-list and move on.

I have had enthusiastic overseas buyers before and when I quote them prices for faster shipping (at their request) they usually balk and accept the slower rate. They seem interested in getting the item quickly, but not willing to pay top dollar for shipping, which seems a bit more realistic to me. I haven't had any problems with those buyers, but yours just sounds different.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You can set eBay buyer restrictions to block bids from locations that you set as locations you won't ship to. I've got my eBay account set up this way and it avoids a lot of wasted time (and worse).

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I agree with the post above about setting up ebay location restrictions on your listing for who is allowed to bid on it based upon location, as well as their record for non-payment of other auctions. I would also add that you can require that the item be paid for via PayPal before the listing is ended, so long as you are selling via a fixed price auction.

11. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Private courier means scam. Serious buyers tend to follow YOUR sale restrictions. Why would a person be willing to pay your price but send a courier to pick up the item, rather than simply ask about shipping first?

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I just "sold" my e-p5 on eBay, but I'm struggling to get any sense from the buyer. I'm wondering whether re-listing is worth the hassle vs waiting for a buyer on the forum...

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    It is very easy to prevent buyers from other countries using 'buy it now'
    As others have mentioned there are some tick boxes which you can select to exclude countries, continents and locations you don't wish to sell to (rather than selecting the countries you do want to sell to)
    Regards
    Rob

14. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Sounds fishy. I usually restrict sales to US only for a variety of reasons. I will sell to Canada using their Global shipping program, since the cost is the same. but usually I don't have problems selling things locally. I once sent a lens to Europe and it took 4-6 weeks to get through customs and such...but that was ages ago. I knew I wouldn't want to deal with it if there was some problem.

If someone can't type with proper grammar and complete sentences like that, I wouldn't even bother responding.

15. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    The "courier" thing is a scam., They come with a check to pay you and it also covers their pickup fee. You play them, cash the check and it bounces. You lose. I've come across this a couple of times from people who wanted to buy a print; they couldn't actual;let visit me but a courier would come to get it.

BTW, I've sold lots of thinks on Ebay and I always say US/Canada only and irt doles not deter other bidders. Although it's a bit more work, all of these transactions have been smooth.

16. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I just got back into ebay selling, after a 2-3 year hiatus. In the US, they have a new international shipping service. The seller just ships the item to eBay in Kentucky, and then eBay does the overseas shipping. It's pretty cool. I just sold a fountain pen to someone in Russia, so we'll see how it works out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I noticed that Paul - if a buyer doesn't respond promptly to your contact, cancel the sale and re-list the item.

I know I would! :thumbup:

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My son did that recently, but the waiting periods and other hoops he had to jump through with eBay first were not trivial. :rolleyes:

19. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Some people are just genuinely slow - I would give them 1-2 days to pay.

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    post #9 is how I roll. I block bidders from areas to which i do not ship. Very simple very easy.