eBay: Computar 1:1.2/12.5-75 $69.95

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by iso640, Jan 14, 2013.

1. yen800

yen800 New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2010
    I think these do have vignetting when mount on m43...?

2. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    I think there's a thread in the adaptive lenses forum and the pics look pretty good. Granted, the one tested is 1.4, not 1.2 but I think the images provided look fairly impressive.

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/computar-75mm-f-1-4-cctv-image-thread-29016/

On Edit:
    I just looked at some images on Flickr, and you're right, there is vignetting.

On another edit:

Found this video shot with this lens. Not seeing much in the way of vignetting. So, YMMV.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/26765402"]Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2 x GH2 (hacked) night demo on Vimeo[/ame]

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Isn't there a video crop mode that a lot of people use on the GH2 with c-mount lenses? This may be one example.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Anyone pick up one of these yet? Impressions?

5. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I recently picked up the Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2 from another seller.
    The good:
    • Using a cheap c-mount to MFT adapter, the lens focuses just fine on my G3.
    • Focal range is good, 25mm to 150mm in 35mm terms.
    • Fairly fast.

The bad:
    Though the lens is designed for a 2/3" sensor, vignetting is pretty severe, even with ETC. I think for the video you posted, the video was taken using using letterboxing or something to reduce the vignetting. I'll try to post some samples.

I paid a lot less, so I'm planning to keep it and mess around with it. But for what he is asking, I don't think its worth it. YMMV.

6. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    Just wanted to post this link to 2 images I took with the Computar (which I received today).

When getting close to the subject, there is crazy vignetting, looks like I was shooting down a barrel. However, from about 5 ft away, the vignetting lessens to the point of being tolerable.

Computar 12.5-75mm f/1.2 CCTV zoom lens - a set on Flickr

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What focal points were those shot at? How does it hold up to the 1.2 at both ends (does stopping down help stop the vignetting at either end)?

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

What ever happened to the 4/3 c-mount lenses?

It's interesting that there are a few company's out there that manufacture C-mount lenses for c-mount cameras with 1 " , 1.3" or 4/3 inch sensors. Even Kowa released a line of Machine Vision Lenses in c-mount, for 4/3 inch sensors, over a year ago IIRC. But I never see any retail sales of the lenses. Or anyone selling them for that matter.
    Whats going on?
    Oh.. and yea, and a quick fix for the lens OP mentioned is to use a 1.5 tele converter so you wont loose much speed, or one can just shoot in ETC mode.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I have a Computar lens in this FL and aperture, that looks exactly like this Navatar. I was thinking of selling it too but didn't think anyone would want to buy it for what I paid... it was $100 shipped.

11. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    Before buying the 12.5-75mm zoom, I had googled it to see if it was adaptable to mu43. I recall seeing a post on another forum where the author of this video, foster chen, mentions that he had modified the lens to reduce vignetting and that he also offered a modification service. Ekoe also offers a mod service for c mount lenses. If you check the various c-mount lens threads, many mention having to modify the lenses, especially the zooms, to get them to work with mu43 (just google "c-mount" and "hacksaw" or "dremel").

Many of the users of the c-mount zooms are film makers who are shooting video using hacked GH-2s.

12. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    I'm sure someone would buy it here is you posted it here or on ebay. 75mm f1.4 for $99 is a decent deal.