Easy photo editing software?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by sprinke, Jul 20, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Hi all. I'm getting tired of processing all of my husband's eBay product photos in Lightroom. I'd like to get him set up on something easy to use and I'm looking for recommendations. He's got a Macbook Pro running Leopard (not Snow Leopard).

Here's what we're looking for:

1) Not iPhoto, Lightroom, or Aperture. He doesn't want anything that pulls pictures into its own database or file structure.

2) Features he'll need: cropping, resizing, minor exposure/contrast/color adjustments. He's probably going to be working with JPEG, not RAW.

3) Something with an integrated viewer, so that he can quickly review all of the images in a particular file folder.

4) Free? :biggrin:

5) Not too complicated. Photoshop (even Elements) is probably overkill. Gimp is probably also overkill.

6) Don't need keywording or tagging or anything like that.

We just got an E-PL2, so we've got that Olympus Viewer software, but if that's as bad as Silkypix then I don't even want to touch it.

Any suggestions?
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Try Picasa, from Google.
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    heh at first I was going to say elements or just viewer.

If he's going to do jpg only, how about a web service like Aviary? Or Picasa might be up his alley.
  4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you use a Mac, try Preview, it's standard on all Mac's.
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Picasa should be a great fit for simplicity. And free.
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

Aperture does allow you to store your images in any way you want... the Aperture library can just be a record of where you photos are and what you have done to them..

anyway... they are ebay photos... they have a very limited life....deletet hem once they are sold.

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Aperture gives you the option of storing your photos in its database, or maintaining each photo as a separate file in folders.

Lightroom only stores the files in folders, not in a database.

I've just swapped from Aperture to Lightroom and I'd go for Lightroom over Aperture if you decide to use either of those 2. It handles RAW files much better than Aperture in my opinion.
  8. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I like picasa for simple downloading and editing.
  9. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    +1 for Picasa.
  10. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Another vote for Picasa. My wife is not into PP at all,l but she makes lots of minor adjustments to her P & S photos and any of mine that she wants. It works great, and is quick and easy.
  11. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    It's not free but I think the Mac version of ACDSEe pro is really easy to use, on process tab there is 3 tabs with basic adjustments, not in drop down menu but a graphical interface in window beside the pic,really easy to see & the adjustments are easy to see straight away, they have specials from time to time, I got mine for $20-30 if I remember
  12. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Another vote for Picasa ... it's very good for freeware and many of it's auto functions do a good job.
  13. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    PhotoScape could be also an option to consider; it's free... :2thumbs:
  14. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    I use photoscape. Free and controllable, none of this sticking pictures into its own libraries nonsense. Nice interface, a few basic effects too. No layers.
  15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    +1 for Photoscope. The only headache for me is that it makes a tiny thumbnail of all the images in a directory when you navigate there. Not a problem if that directory has 5 images, big problem if it has a 100. Takes a while.
  16. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I thought PhotoScape was for Windows and the original request comes from a Mac user. So I don't think that is a solution for her.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    ^^ thanks for pointing that out. i am not a mac user (yet).
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My wife likes Picasa so another vote for it.
  19. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i usually pre-select the images i like to process in a separate
    folder. and yes, it would be really awesome if PhotoScape can
    have a option to select images to process from the hard drive.
  20. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    It looks like Picasa is the winner. Hubby is up & running on it and it's working well for him.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!