Easy and effective batch video denoiser (avisynth+mvtools, freeware)

basyl1891

New to Mu-43
I use this denoising tool (Avisynth + MVTools) for years, and results always impressed me. Still, despite its effectiveness, it has little recognition.
Probably because there is no GUI - to setup and use you have to dig into scripts. Last month, trying to help a non-techie friend, I think I've found a [practical enough] way to use it even for newbies. Essentially, I created a few basic presets (low-mid-high and v-log) and made them work via drag-and-drop method.
Maybe it will work for your needs. Feel free to try it out and share your experience.

Key points:
- Freeware, but Windows only
- Simple to use - just drag and drop files onto the preset shortcut. Result will be stored in a separate folder along the original
- Ready to use - include presets for "Low", "Medium", "High" filtering, plus "V-log"
- Effective even against heavy grain/noise
- Supports multicore CPU threads management, NVidia GPU encoding, 10-bit 4:2:2 input
- Output video codecs: x264, NVEnc(h264,HEVC), DNxHR, Cineform, ProRes
- The audio from original video is copied into filtered clip "as is", without any processing
- Filtering and encoding can be tweaked or new presets can be added without much hassle
- For best results try to disable in-camera noise reduction (or set to lowest possible)

Bonus functions: batch conversion into intermediate and delivery formats, 1080p proxy creation, remuxing any video into .mov container, converting dolby ac3 into pcm stereo.

Installation files + How to use + Video test samples here:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Andr88T403SpapbOPF2tnEGLnQ0

Some comparison screens:

GF1, iso1600 [ low vs high ].png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
GH4, iso1600 [ low - med - high ].png
GH5,  iso800 [ VLog_low ].png
GH5,  iso3200 [ VLog_high ].png

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With Sony Vegas I have been using an add-on called "neat video". But I will also take a look at this for sure. Ty sir.

basyl1891

New to Mu-43
With Sony Vegas I have been using an add-on called "neat video". But I will also take a look at this for sure. Ty sir.
It would be interesting to see how well it stands against NeatVideo on your samples (different than mine). In my [limited] tests results are quite close.

esmyhil

New to Mu-43
It would be interesting to see how well it stands against NeatVideo on your samples (different than mine). In my [limited] tests results are quite close.
I use this denoising tool (Avisynth + MVTools) for years, and results always impressed me. Still, despite its effectiveness, it has little recognition.
Probably because there is no GUI - to setup and use you have to dig into scripts. Last month, trying to help a non-techie friend, I think I've found a [practical enough] way to use it even for newbies. Essentially, I created a few basic presets (low-mid-high and v-log) and made them work via drag-and-drop method.
Maybe it will work for your needs. Feel free to try it out and share your experience.

Key points:
- Simple to use - just drag and drop files onto the preset shortcut. Result will be stored in a separate folder along the original
- Ready to use - include presets for "Low", "Medium", "High" filtering, plus "V-log"
- Supports multicore CPU threads management, NVidia GPU encoding, 10-bit 4:2:2 input
- The audio from original video is copied into filtered clip "as is", without any processing
- Filtering and encoding can be tweaked or new presets can be added without much hassle
- For best results try to disable in-camera noise reduction (or set to lowest possible)

Bonus functions: batch conversion into intermediate and delivery formats, 1080p proxy creation, remuxing any video into .mov container, converting dolby ac3 into pcm stereo.

Some comparison screens:

View attachment 798415View attachment 798416View attachment 798417View attachment 798418
just came across this, very interesting!!
i have been using avisynth + virtualdub but not up to this level. I use neatvideo with adobe premiere but rendering is time consuming so i moved to Infognition Video enhancer using neatvideo as a plugin where i can batch denoise the video before loading into adobe premiere. The problem with this setup is that i do get some error whereby the software will fail to process the a video and the automation stops!
with this method it looks so easy. i believe i can even incorporate neatvideo in the plugins too?
very good job!!

basyl1891

New to Mu-43
i believe i can even incorporate neatvideo in the plugins too?
In theory it can be done for a VirtualDub version of NeatVideo, though I have not tested this.
As far as i can tell NV needs customization per each clip, while mvtools seems to be more flexible, since doesn't require fine tuning

basyl1891

New to Mu-43
update, v1.3

- all 'Denoiser' presets were reworked and got major speed-up (mostly 1.5x-2x faster, some up to 3x). In addition 'Very_high/Max' are somewhat stronger now and thus farther apart from 'High'. Previous (v1.2) are still there just in case, zipped in the 'avs\' folder
- updated 'Side-by-Side preview' tool, now it's possible to make comparison between filters itself, not only source vs filter
- new 'Deshaker3D' stabilizer tool. Recommended for rectilinear UWA and 'defished' fisheye lenses
- new 'Defish' lens correction tool
- new 'All-in-1 custom' tool allows combined processing
- new 'Slo-Mo' conversion, 33%, 50%, 75% of original speed. Use with care - can produce visible artefacts in case of busy background and/or complex movements
- new 'VFR-to-CFR' converter, without transcoding, remux only
- new 'deliver_x265' preset
- new Proxy 720p/540p presets
- proxy 1080p DNxHD modified to reduce bitrate
- added limited support for interlaced input
- code cleanup and bugfixes

HansVries

New to Mu-43

Key points:

Some comparison screens:

View attachment 798415View attachment 798416View attachment 798417View attachment 798418
I have used both Denoise III and NeatVideo. Great plugins, for sure. But man, it takes ages to render a 15 min clip. Like 1 h 30 min on a Nvidia 1650 card. Ages. These scripts are absolutely fantastic. After editing the clips, I save them in the required format (H264, mostly 10-20Mbps). Then, I drop them on the shortcut on my desktop. Sometimes Very High, sometimes Max. Depends on how noisy the security cam footage is (night footage is really really noisy). And it takes max 20 minutes to render/clean up the video. The results? On par with Denoise III or NeatVideo. More often better than on par. So all in all: save your money on the plugins: do all of your editing in your NLE, render it and than drop it on a shortcut to clean up your video. Saves you 100 (NeatVideo) or 300 (Magic Bullet) USD + a huge amount of time. Thanks a lot for sharing this

basyl1891

New to Mu-43
I have used both Denoise III and NeatVideo. Great plugins, for sure. But man, it takes ages to render a 15 min clip. Like 1 h 30 min on a Nvidia 1650 card. Ages. These scripts are absolutely fantastic. After editing the clips, I save them in the required format (H264, mostly 10-20Mbps). Then, I drop them on the shortcut on my desktop. Sometimes Very High, sometimes Max. Depends on how noisy the security cam footage is (night footage is really really noisy). And it takes max 20 minutes to render/clean up the video. The results? On par with Denoise III or NeatVideo. More often better than on par. So all in all: save your money on the plugins: do all of your editing in your NLE, render it and than drop it on a shortcut to clean up your video. Saves you 100 (NeatVideo) or 300 (Magic Bullet) USD + a huge amount of time. Thanks a lot for sharing this
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it helped at least some people. Regarding h264 - you don't required to use it as a source codec for denoiser. You can use intermediate codecs (DNxHR/Prores/Cineform) for input as well. It will run at slower speed though. I guess denoising as the last step is OK for a security footage, where is only std cuts without any elaborate transitions. In general case thou I'd recommend approach "denoise first - edit later". Also, my general advice to all is to be careful and avoid over-smoothing, make sure you not losing important details. You can use 'Side-by-side preview" tool for that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom