East Austin Studio Tour

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Bokeaji, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    few random pics from this afternoon
    theres 2 doubles, as i wasnt sure which version i liked better
    deal with it! ;D

6367355645_727e97acbf_b.
    !PB197726 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367351707_368dace551_b.
    !PB197682 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367345845_62ce451d2f_b.
    !PB197544 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367344349_210414148a_b.
    !PB197533 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367347441_21853293e6_b.
    !PB197550 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367355031_8d7d84a528_b.
    !PB197697 (1) by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367353499_8ce94a72a8_b.
    !PB197697 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367350347_b469ebcdcd_b.
    !PB197665 (1) by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6367349053_262809f7f3_b.
    !PB197665 by Bokeaji, on Flickr

any cronstructive critisism?
    which version of the doubles do you guys prefer?
    and if you think you can do better, ill give you the orig!

• Like Like x 2
  2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    interesting shots, Eliot... personally of both the two-version shots , I prefer the ones in colour... did you partially de-colourise the one of the trio on the old van seat/sofa, or was that just how the colours were? Nice how the colours worked out either way... As to the guy looking at the rag art, the multi-coloured aspect of the rags themselves seems to beg for representation

if I don't make sense, pls excuse, cappuccino not working so well this morning as I woke at something like 5.30

3. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    second from the top is my favourite.. cc would be - be careful with over doing it in post production.

4. Is that some kind of diffuse glow (in photoshop speak) that you are using in a few of them? Love the effect in #4, not so much in #3. Of your double-ups I like the first in colour and the second in the monochrome. Very cool set of pics overall.

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Some nice shots there.

First things first. The poking the tongue out woman is gorgeous...you lucky devil :wink:

Of the doubles, I prefer the first of each....and for the same reason. To my eyes the BW/desaturated versions draw my eyes and attention a little 'too' much away from the respective subjects and to the rather strong textures in the immediate background, this is particularly the case in the first shot where the strong wood grain texture almost completely dominates the scene as opposed to the 3 seated friends.

I'd probably tone down the glow effect too, especially on the tongue out girl because its a really fun shot and I imagine it was quite a sharp shot before PP....and because she's cute....did I mention that already ?

I really like the shots mind you...just trying to be constructively picky.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

lol.

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    LOL! thanks folks

the girl is just a friend, Krista, im actually about to meet her and her bf for donuts, MMmmmmm

yeah its a glow effect, i mainly did it as a cheap way to have her not freak out at me for showing off any rough skin in any of her pics, LOL!

and then i was just playing with it for the other one with the 2 women in the crowd, it was so WHOA IN YO FAAAACE that i kept it just to try something different

ashy, the washed out color version of the 3 seating is from using bleech bypass
    i thought it looked perdy good, so went with it

and yes, the wood grain behind them is very... LOOK AT ME!!!!
    nothing i could do EASILY before passing out last night was making the wood less obvious,... shrug :)

i thought the color version of the rag man was nice, the colors seems so perfecto, but i think i still like the sepia better
    but those colors ARE nice.... lol

ew coffee... ;)

8. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I guess I should have noticed they were leached a bit... Shows you how not awake I was this morning, though I still managed the flea market with street shooting, the mall mayhem and way too much public transport today....

Anyway, I must have just thought they were so hip and cool that they have really subtle skin tones to match their funky and organic boffo threads... Or maybe I have been shooting in monochrome too much and I am colour saturation hyper sensitive

Coffee? Eww? Don't let an Italian hear you say that. Of course my tea drinking S.O. is the exception who proves the rule, but anyway the stuff we have here ain't like yer circle-k burnt motor oil crappo that y'all have over there ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

9. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Lesotho
    I really like the color version of the people on the couch and the sepia version of the guy looking at the rag art. For me, the color overwhelms the image in the color version. I like how everything almost blends together in the sepia version, so that the man is almost camouflaged. Careful not to overdo it on the vignette, though. Great shots!