1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Earthquake brings shortages

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fastcar888, Apr 6, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    The terrible disaster in Japan is beginning to deplete some of the inventory for Olympus and Panasonic equipment in the USA. Other than some very overpriced places, it is now difficult to get the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 and the Olympus VF 2 viewfinder for the Olympus P EL2.

B & H photo will not even predict when they will receive inventory. The tragedy is much sadder and more far reaching than the lack of products. But we are in a global economy. It could take quite a while to get back to normal.

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Adorama has the Pany 20. It is $50 higher than it was 3-4 weeks ago.

3. greenandgold

greenandgold Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
  4. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks. However, I prefer to buy new.

5. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks Armanius. Yesterday they were out. They close after 7:00 PM. So, I will give them a call tomorrow and see for certain if the really have it.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    But is not most of this stuff made in China? EPL1 made in China, 40-150 made in China. I presume the VF2 is as well.
    As such I don't know why the damage in Japan is affecting production in China.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The Panasonic 20mm is made in Japan. Japan is still a source of parts that can be assembled in other countries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Japanese ain't no fools. They may outsource the bulk of the production to china, but I'm pretty sure the more technologically advanced parts (sensors) are still homemade and shipped for final assembly.

Cheers,

9. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Was debating on the 20/1.7 when it was $350, hoping for it to drop. Guess I waited too long.

10. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Sort of OT but I had even wondered if I should try to locate a used G1 or G2 "just in case" my over 2 yr. old G1 dies or develops problems. I have my eye on a GH2 for the future but decided I would be disciplined LOL and wait for the G3 announcement. Then, of course, there may be no locating a GH2 for a good long while after that if I decide the G3 is not for me. I mentioned to my husband that by the time I'm able to get a body only black GH2, assuming I choose it rather than a G3, the GH3 may be announced. He smiled LOLOL.

Diane

11. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Appreciate it. Just purchased 20mm 1.7 Panasonic.

12. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    J&R

I had $200 in J&R gift cards and tried to order the Panny 20 from them a few weeks ago. It said it was on order and should be in stock quickly. Called last week and they said they had no idea when they would get them in due to the Japan situation.

Wondering if I should just give up on that and get the Oly 17 instead. Just hate to lost the speed of the 20. Oh well.

Sad news this morning that another quake hit. Hope life can get back to ~normal for those folks sometime in the near future.

13. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Sorry about the bad new in Japan.

I bought the Panny 20 today from Adorama. Also, just purchased the VF 2 viewfinder from B & H. Yesterday, both items were not available.

14. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    If you can find the 17 at a very good price its a decent wider substitute for the 20. I bought it 2 years ago wanting a fast small wider prime since the 20 had been included in the lens lineup but we had no idea when it would appear. I used the 17 all that summer and enjoyed it and then bought the 20 on the GF1 when it came out. I've chosen not to sell the 17 and occasionally shoot with it when I prefer that FL.

I was really glad to hear that there was no tsunami associated with the quakes but its one more scary one with some sad results. It has to be a very hard time for the Japanese people that those of us in other parts of the world can't even imagine.

Diane