1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Early spring cleaning - please give me your opinion of what to get rid of...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mintchoco, Jan 22, 2013.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    So I recently ordered the OMD and I'm waiting for that to come. But in the meanwhile, I'd like to do a bit of much needed housekeeping and sort out my lenses:
    • 9-18: I have barely used this lens, but thought it'd be nice to have a UWA for landscapes and interiors. However, now that the OMD has a 12-50, I'm thinking whether it's worth keeping for the 9-12 focal length.
    • 14: It's so cheap and compact, I'd hate to give it up eventhough I don't use it much either.
    • 20: I would like to keep it, but have been tempted to upgrade to the 25. Yes, the slow AF speed does bother me here and there, but perhaps not yet for me to really dump it. I'm just thinking the 25 would be just so much better for photos of kids given the faster AF.
    • 45: Love it, other than the 20, I use this lens the most.
    • 14-150: Great for a full day outing at the zoo or something.
    • 12-50: I've been told it's worth keeping for the weather proofing.

So, what would you suggest I do to my lens collection going forward? Is there something I could get rid of like the 9-18? Is it worth the upgrade to the 25 from the 20 - I've read a lot of posts on this topic and I'm still on the fence. My main subject matter is really taking day-to-day photos of an active toddler, I rarely have time to go shooting for fun nowadays anyhow...

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It took me a while to decide to go for sell my 20 and get a 25mm. I loved the 20 but there is something wonderful about the 25 - maybe I just resonate with the focal length. it's also a nice fit for me between the 14 and 45. Being just a bit faster doesn't hurt, either. I love it as an indoor lens. :cool:

3. jpmac55

jpmac55 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 3, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    I'd consider selling the 9-18mm, especially if you don't use it much. Appears to be a decent demand for it, too, so selling shouldn't be a problem. You'll be covered with that focal length with the 12-50mm and your 14mm. The kit lens also has a macro function.

I suppose if you are considering the Panny 35mm, you may want to take a look at the Olympus 17 1.8.

4. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks! Already sold! :)

5. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I'm getting back into mft and picked E-PL5 and Pano 20mm. I want a 12mm as I shot a 24mm on my Canon a lot. I'm torn between the 12-50 and the 9-18. Since you had both, any comments on image quality at around 12mm between the two?

Thanks, Gary

6. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't actually have the 12-50 yet, but its coming with my OMD. :)

7. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    gnb40, the 9-18 seemed to me to be quite a bit better. The 12-50 is an OK lens, and you may well be happy with it. Its advantage is, of course, its flexibility, always-on usefulness.

But the 9-18 is an excellent lens, and the difference between 9 and 12mm field-of-view is considerable. Against that, it's expensive compared to the 12-50.

Try and decide (perhaps on the basis of your previous photography) whether you would like the extra width.

BTW, I have had very good experiences buying used on forums. If you try a lens and don't resonate with it, resell it. Costs less than renting, usually.

9. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    Talanis,

Coming from the Canon 5D Mark II I enjoyed the flexability of the 24-105mm on the full frame camera. This is why I ordered the OMD kit with the 12-50mm lens.
    I wish that Olympus would come out with a :43: version of the Four Thirds 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 lens - that would be a great all around lens.

I enjoyed your blog entry, "TRAVELING WITH THE OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5" (Google Translate)
    and then the link that you had on the page to: Quatre mois avec l’Olympus OM-D » Blog de Eric Côté, photographe QUATRE MOIS AVEC L'OLYMPUS OM-D

or FOUR MONTHS WITH THE OLYMPUS OM-D - Google Translate - Thanks

10. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thank you Joe. I also enjoy the versatility of the 24-105 on the 5DII, especially in studio. The 12-60 would be great indeed. I might go for the 12-35 f/2.8 for weddings but at the moment, the 12-50 is still nice to use from time to time.I admit that I prefer primes though :)

11. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    Talanis and BigTam,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look for a refurb or used 9-18. This could end up being a walk around lens for me.

Gary

• Like Like x 2