Early pictures from LX100

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lawrence, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    What makes some low-res images on Flickr a reason for thinking "Leica feel"? I'm not trying to be snarky, but really I don't see any justification for making any judgments one way or another based on these shots. They could have been taken with almost any u43 or APS-C camera on the planet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Whatever about they are wonderful photographs of a wonderful city, and show (to my eyes) that the camera and lens is a match to the latest m43 gear, although I can't help but think the Panasonic 12-35 or Olympus 12-40 would have performed a little better? It's also interesting that the photographer didn't go past ISO 1600.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    They at least had the sense to hand it to good photographer. (I'm trying to avoid the "Leica Virgin" jokes. Unsuccessfully)

5. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    I never was a good enough photographer to recognize Leica good from regular good but these are nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Be even better see some full size examples - even a 3 mp camera can impress at that size. I do hope it lives up to the hype - especially that the glass performs at full aperture because otherwise the speed is all for nothing.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  8. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    This camera looks great. I have been wanting both a GH4 and a 12-35 2.8 lens to cover the wider angle plus get better video than what my GH3 can do. However, my budget is blown already, and this may cover 90% on my video needs, plus it looks like a darn good camera for picture shooting and is portable as well. I can keep using the GH3 for my more specialized lenses and when I need to film with more zoom.

Anyone know of big caveats vs a Gh4??? I kind of feel Panasonic needs to find a way to make the GH4 stand out more now. Maybe eek out a bit more framerate in 1080p or 4k or something.

9. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I'm sure the lx100 will be limited to the GH4 in regards to bit rates etc in comparison. Of course this fantasy camera seems to do it all so who knows?! It doesn't have a touch screen (I haven't had a body with it yet but being able to adjust focus point while viewing evf sounds awesome) and of course you're limited to 1 lens (no tele) and no mic inputs. That's just a few I can think of, I don't think this compete's with the gh4 when it comes to pro video but for everyday prosumer / enthusiast i have a feeling we'll have more than enough with the lx100 to capture our family / friends / unique moments in video AND still be able to do 8mp screen grabs for stills. Even though I have an E-M1 I prefer to use my RX100 as my main video shooter. I have a feeling I'll continue to do the same with this LX100. I'm hoping the face detection autofocus works super well in 4k. I noticed in videos the GH4s focus slows down considerably in 4k mode.

• Like Like x 1
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Want bigger files! Those are great photos but without being able to painstakingly analyze each pixel, I'm unable to opine ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
  12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Good points. I think this may be a good way to get into 4K though. Maybe later get a GH4 successor or EM-1 successor. I guess I'll just have to wait for the reviews :)

13. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    • Like Like x 2