1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Early Evening at the Bird Feeder

Discussion in 'Nature' started by DougVaughn, Mar 30, 2014.

1. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    I decided to experiment today with the Olympus remote app for iPad and my E-M1. These were all shot using the Oly 75mm lens. The camera was on a tripod 5-10 feet from the feeder, and I sat on the porch running things with the iPad. Changing camera settings works perfectly, and choosing a focus point works well most of the time. The only downside is speed. Many times the bird had moved a little by the time the camera started focusing, and I ended up with the background or some other object in focus. Also quite a delay (about a second) in taking the image, so you have to hope the bird sticks around.

My favorite of the set is the woodpecker, who showed up as a surprise. He's very fast, so I was lucky to get a single good shot.

P3303110.

P3303119.

P3303028.

P3303095.

P3303114.

• Like Like x 21
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    beautiful color and clarity

3. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Really nice shots, interesting way to shoot as well! Did you use flash?

4. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    No flash. Just the late day sun peeking through some trees.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Beautiful shots, really well done! :thumbup:

6. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    Suggestion - position a tree limb close to the feeder and shoot the birds when they stage in line for the feeder. Looks totally like you captured the shot in nature. BTW, beautiful shots with that app.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I had considered using remote control for winter shooting in the field, but had not thought of using it at home. I have a room that overlooks our patio where we feed birds, and I suspect that if the window does not cause communication issues, that I am easily within range of our feeder (from a nice warm room :smile:). Thanks for helping me see the obvious.

--Ken

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Great shots!

9. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    Thanks Adam... the tree limb / branch was exactly my plan. I wanted to test the remote control to see if I could get clear shots before setting up something more creative. I'm thinking I will semi-permanently mount some natural perches near various feeders. Need a special one for our woodpecker friends who like to hang on the side of things.

10. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    That is a FANTASTIC setup! Love it.

11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Great stuff!