Early Evening at the Bird Feeder

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
I decided to experiment today with the Olympus remote app for iPad and my E-M1. These were all shot using the Oly 75mm lens. The camera was on a tripod 5-10 feet from the feeder, and I sat on the porch running things with the iPad. Changing camera settings works perfectly, and choosing a focus point works well most of the time. The only downside is speed. Many times the bird had moved a little by the time the camera started focusing, and I ended up with the background or some other object in focus. Also quite a delay (about a second) in taking the image, so you have to hope the bird sticks around.

My favorite of the set is the woodpecker, who showed up as a surprise. He's very fast, so I was lucky to get a single good shot.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

adamsmt2013

Mu-43 Regular
Suggestion - position a tree limb close to the feeder and shoot the birds when they stage in line for the feeder. Looks totally like you captured the shot in nature. BTW, beautiful shots with that app.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I had considered using remote control for winter shooting in the field, but had not thought of using it at home. I have a room that overlooks our patio where we feed birds, and I suspect that if the window does not cause communication issues, that I am easily within range of our feeder (from a nice warm room :smile:). Thanks for helping me see the obvious.

--Ken

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
Suggestion - position a tree limb close to the feeder and shoot the birds when they stage in line for the feeder. Looks totally like you captured the shot in nature. BTW, beautiful shots with that app.
Thanks Adam... the tree limb / branch was exactly my plan. I wanted to test the remote control to see if I could get clear shots before setting up something more creative. I'm thinking I will semi-permanently mount some natural perches near various feeders. Need a special one for our woodpecker friends who like to hang on the side of things.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom