Early attempts at street photography

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Judderman62, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Well I have had my GX1 for 12 days now and not posted any pics yet so here's a few early attempts at street photography taken on my lunch break today.

comments/feedback welcomed .... but be gentle ;)

last 12 months I've really struggled to decide where I like B&W (have always liked it and feel it really works for street) or prefer colour.

so on the ones where I have posted both be good to see how many prefer B&W and how many prefer colour.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For the particular shots you chose to show in both BW and color, I don't feel like the color is adding anything to the picture. Not saying shoot exclusively in BW, just evaluate each picture as it comes.
  3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011

I am relatively new to street photography also. I find it a lot of fun and enjoy getting out amongst crowds and snapping away, hoping for the ideal shot.

Are you using a prime or zoom? I use a 17mm Oly lens and am only now becoming comfortable with the FOV of the lens when shooting from the chest. I use hyperfocal distance setting in preference to AF. I find that once it is set, I can forget all about it. I prefer B&W for street shots as I believe in the majority of cases it adds something to the photo that in most cases color cannot. That is only my opinion of course.

I have found that a good workflow is important for PP photos. Although there is a desire to scan through everything as soon as one gets home, I have taken the advice of more experienced and not looked seriously at my shots until the next day at the earliest. It seems to assist in selecting what stands out.

Some suggest keeping everything; others suggest delete everything not suitable. That is another personal quandary for the individual shooter. Regardless, a good workflow will assist in improving the RAW. I am assuming you are showing RAW. I shoot JPG + RAW. JPG in monochrome, as this assists in quick appraisal of what the B&W version would look like, and because I use an EP1 and rely on the LCD at times.

Your first shoots are good. I like the composition of the sign above the head in the last photo. It appears cropped but it is still good. You will find that you become you own worst critic quickly and will become selective of your shots. That is only natural. Now that the street bug has bitten it will be difficult to stop. Enjoy.