1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Eagerly awaiting my E-P3 to replace E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 6x6, Jun 6, 2012.

1. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    The market for used E-P3 bodies took a real dive in recent weeks, lots of people selling theirs to fund the new OM-D. So finally I could afford one to supplement my "aging" E-P1.

Two reasons fort this:
    1. AF
    2. AF.

If its faster than a snail, you cant focus on it. I can live with that most of the time.

Worse, more often than not ist impossible to focus at all. The too large AF-area then chooses what it wants. This pic, I had to focus manually, because the AF choose the background. I havent looked back to focusing manually ever since the Yashica T4 replaced the Rollei 35, so why start now! :biggrin:

And I really really like AF, it makes life so mucheasier.
    PB204112_ji.

One thing I will have to get used too ist the small font of the menue, but at lesst its not on a 16:9 display as with the E-PM1 I tried earleir this year.

And the impossibillity of shutting-off in-camera noise reduction will have to be adressed somehow, too.

Ofcourse, the E-P1 with the 17/2.8 will remain, after all it gives so nice results in such a small package and feels good in the hand. Its still a good package!

My question: is there someone out there who has made the same transition and give me some hints on how to fine-tune the E-P3?
    With the E-P1 I was on O for contrast, saturation and sharpness, with picture mode normal.
    (The E-420 is on contrast -1, saturation +1, sharpness 0)
    But I guess the E-P3 will be completely different to set up?

And now to something totally different:
    I really like this forum. Its friendly here and not so horribly dogmatic/agressive like so many other ones!

• Like Like x 1
  2. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I subscribed to this thread when I saw yesterday thinking that there would be tons of responses that I too could benefit from as a new EP3 owner, but surprised to check back to hear the crickets chirping.

I just got my EP3 on Monday afternoon and LOVE it! I also have a PL2, P1 and PM1 - so it just feels so familiar, which is a huge comfort. I haven't started tweaking my setting yet, but did come across this yesterday while digging around - hopefully, it's help to you too:

Olympus PEN E-P3 Field Test | Gakuranman – illuminating Japan

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I didn't keep my E-P3 long enough to have many settings. I do have a few things however. Getting the larger optional grip is definitely worth it. It improves the handling immensely. I also remember really liking the touch to focus/shoot and locking the lower thumb wheel so that I needed to push the exposure comp button on the top to activate it. That way the upper dial/wheel was for the aperture and the lower was exposure comp but I didn't keep accidentally changing it with my thumb.

It's not a lot but it's something.

4. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Something is better than nothing ;-)

I've been looking at that larger grip - will probably try to get one tomorrow.

5. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I too have switched from E-P1 to E-P3. I've kept my E-P1 bit for sentimental reasons only - I don't think I'll ever use it in anger again as the E-P3 is just so much better to use. Yes, the AF is great but the customisable camera controls make the E-P3 a real pleasure to shoot with. I particularly like being able to save various settings in the 4 Mysets and my favourite use of this it to have Myset2 identical to Myset2 but with spot metering. I then set up the video button to switch to Myset2 while pressed. This gives me instant access to spot metering which I find very handy indeed.

I have exposure comp on Fn1. And Fn2 centres the autofocus point. Arrow right is set to instant iso and arrow down to wb. I just with the info button could be programmed to give instant custom wb.

Fortunately, my second-user E-P3 came with the big grip. Highly recommended.

6. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    can someone please explain further on accessing spot metering on the ep3? sorry if it's a thread killer..but i'm assuming the functions on ep2 and ep3 are very similiar.

does the spot metering allow you to specifically pick the area you want to meter?
    how can i access using it?

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    For me, the most important setting change was activating the Super Control Panel. One-stop shopping for all key settings; never have to worry about remembering custom button assignments.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    +1 on the SCP. Also, don't you have to actually dive into the menus to turn on the Large/Extra Fine JPEG option?

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Precisely the reason I bought a G3. But I'd have had an E-P2/3 if they hadn't been so expensive. If only the G3 had the SCP :frown:

And just the reason I haven't sold the E-P1 or the 17mm :thumbup:

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Kevin, I would have never found that SuperFine setting if you hadn't mentioned it. It's buried so deep in an odd menu that I had to use the PDF of the manual to search it out. Fortunately, now that I've set the recording options (added SF to large, eliminated Small altogether), they are permanently displayed on the SCP. Thanks a bunch!

11. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Here are some of my first impressions after fiddling with it for 3h:
    The touchscreen is great!
    EV-Comp with the E-P1 was always on -1/3, the E-P3 seems to get a bit too dark with that.
    Its a PITA that I cant customize as I want, but am limited with the possible functions given by Olympus to asign to some buttons.
    The Display shows goofy colours (especially green) and "warm" is already shut off.
    The E-P1 runs on "Normal", but the E-P3 maybe want to be done in "Muted".
    In direct comparison, the E-P3 gives me deeper shadows than the E-P1.

12. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Yes, but the SCP is no new feature of the E-P3. You can activate it on the E-P1, too.