Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mjs4451, Apr 21, 2015.

1. mjs4451

mjs4451 New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2015
    I just received a few years old olympus e510 from a family member that has never used it. I a such a rookie at this and I am going to learn everything I can about how to use it. But I was wondering if someone could give me a quick learning on how I should set up this camera for taking pictures of my little girl playing basketball. Just need to know a quick setting set up. Of course it is action inside a gym atmosphere. Thank you all so much.
  2. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    You can check out Mr Wrotniak site for Olympus 4/3 camera setup and explanations .. much better than Olympus manual

What lens did you get with the E510?
  3. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
  4. mjs4451

mjs4451 New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2015
    There was two different lens with it. It says Olympus Digital 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 ED and the other is a Olympus digital 14-42 mm 1:3-5:6 At the top of this lens by the cap this one says Promaster 58mm UV the other one says Tiffen 58mm UV Haze 1.

Like I said I am I am a very enthusiastic beginner at this, so I appreciate your all help.
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, for basketball you'll probably want to use the 40-150mm, and set the ISO to auto and use Shutter Priority with the shutter at 1/160 or faster, preferably much faster (1/500 - 1/1000) if you have enough light.
    Can you use a flash in the gym?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Like Barry said, turn the top dial to S, auto ISO, auto WB and set the speed as high as possible. If you are setting it too high some number somewhere on the screen will start to blink to tell you that there is not enough light. If so just push the speed back until it stops and hope for the best. A gym can be quite dark for sport pictures.

Take care not to move the camera while shooting: with the longer lens is easy to do it without noticing. Instead it's ok and of great effect to steadily follow the target while taking the shot (like shooting flying birds).

One big advice: take some time at home to try first, even better with an actual running target. Shooting sports is not easy.

One more thing that can create confusion: Olympus made two different systems the older "Four Third" and the newest and current "Micro Four Third". The E510 is a Four Third camera. This forum is about the Micro four thirds this is why someone pointed you to a different forum. I suppose there is no problem with this thread, unless some moderator says otherwise.

If you want to go a little more in-depth try google or youtube for "exposure triangle".
  7. mjs4451

mjs4451 New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2015
    Thank you all for the replies, and being such a novice at this I didn't know about the micro four third thing. Didn't mean to offend anyone if I did. I never really know if I can use a flash in the gym, but I will find out. ty all again
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a pretty capable camera, albeit from nearly a decade ago. The only issue I see, is that you've picked a very difficult subject for the camera! Indoor action is probably the single most demanding task for a camera. You have very low lighting and fast moving subjects. Your camera will have very little light to work with and it can't rely on slowing down the shutter speed like it would for static objects. This means you need a high sensitivity setting (ISO) and a lens that can let in a lot of light (small f-stop number). Unfortunately the lenses you have are not well-suited for low light and the camera, being a bit older, will not have very high ISO settings available.

THat said, in order to use what you have, you are going to want to use the smallest f-stop number and then pick an ISO setting that lets you keep your shutter speed around 1/400-500. Using the 40-mm end of the 40-150mm at f4 might be workable if you aren't sitting too high up in the stands. Practice using the continuous autofocus with a manually selected point and following a subject before the game so you know how that works.
    It's not an ideal basketball setup, but I suspect you'll get better results than with a compact camera, so it is all relative. If you wanted to take it super seriously, I'd recommend a newer camera with an f2.8 zoom and you'd spend about $2000 for it.