E5 - E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by brianvickers, Apr 1, 2012.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I know few people have their E-M5 yet, but what is the relative merits of each...is the E-M5 a replacement...where would it fall short..if at all, or is it just the body format that is different.
    Is the sensor better and output better...is focussing comparable?
    What sets each camera apart in your opinion?

2. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    They're nothing alike - different form factor, different features, different sensors.

they just share similar product names, as far as I can tell.

3. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Form factor?
    cant find a definition of this.
    They have the same size sensor - one has CDAF the other PDAF..but the new CDAF is supposed to be fast.
    I mean what are the differences from the user viewpoint and what makes it worth having a dslr?

4. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    the e-5 sensor was 12.3mp, and the camera body is 5.6" (W) × 4.6" (H) × 2.9"(D)

the em-5 is 16.1mp, 4.8 inch (W) x 3.5 inch (H) x 1.7 inch (D), so about an inch smaller in every direction - that's the difference between 4/3rds and MFT, as I understand it; considerably smaller form factor. I've looked for comparison shots, but haven't been able to find any - I suspect the difference side-by-side is quite striking.

I think neither of them is a dslr, they're both mirror-less. Also, I think mu-43.com might be the wrong place to find dslr advocates ;)
    hope this helps.
    a.

5. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks..you are probably right..cheers!

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Jesus no, that's not right at all. Read about micro 4/3 first:
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Benefits of Micro Four Thirds
    Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They basically took 4/3 cameras, and they removed the mirror to make the cameras use full-time live view and electronic viewfinders, to decrease the size. The E-5 is ABSOLUTELY an SLR. They sensors are ABSOLUTELY comparable, as the E-5 basically uses the same sensor as the EP-1, which is conversely the same sensor as all of the PEN cameras, barring some minor differences in filter and signal processing.

The E-5 uses 4/3 lenses. The EM-5 uses micro 4/3 lenses. You can theoretically use 4/3 lenses on the E-M5 through the use of an adapter, but autofocus ranges from near-uselessly slow to non-functioning. So, depending on which lenses you want to use, you will know which camera you need.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Form factor means the overall size and shape of the device. For example, the E-5 is a DSLR form factor. The advantages of the 4/3 cameras is that they have noticeably improved lenses compared to micro 4/3 lenses. The 14-54mm, 12-60mm, or 14-50mm for example are much improved lenses with respectable apertures. The 4/3 version of the kit lens 14-42mm and 40-150mm, however, is about the same. For the general reasons in choosing a DSLR over a mirrorless camera, there are TONS of discussions on this already. Some creative google searching will give you all you need to know on the subject. Heck, here's an example of how explosive the debate is, in a thread that started up a few days ago:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f35/why-m4-3-will-never-replace-dslrs-23541/

The downsides, and this is a big downside, is cost and size. The E-5 is $1,400 and it is as large as a full-frame Canon 5D or Nikon D800, despite having a sensor that is 1/4 the size. Overall, this is one of the large reasons that 4/3 cameras are pretty much dead, as far as development. There hasn't been a new 4/3 lens or camera in years.

By the way, in that link above to four-third.org, at the bottom it states that there is continued use of 4/3 lenses. This isn't fully true, as I already mentioned, because while the lenses technically mount, for the most part you are effectively stuck using them in manual focus. It is theoretically possible to have full compatibility in the future, but at this point it doesn't practically exist.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That won't stop people from telling you that the next one (E-50, E-7 ...) is just 'around the corner'. :rofl:

Realistically though, the E-5 serves one purpose fairly well - it allows people to use the 4/3 lenses that they already have on a good, solid body. There are a lot of very good Olympus ZD lenses out there, and the E-5 is the best option (not to mention the only semi-current one) to continue using them at this point.

DH