E410 replacement

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Alan Reeve, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Alan Reeve

Alan Reeve New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2017
    I have an E410 which needs replacement. Which one of the new Olympus DSLR cameras could replace it. I have many lens. I know the camera. I am looking for an improved light sensor and ability to use the same lens. Thank you

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    What lenses are you using? There are no new DSLR's. Only mirrorless cameras. The only bodies that are going to give you decent focusing on old legacy lenses (via MMF adapter) are the Olympus EM1 (or EM1.2 which is new and expensive). You can find a used EM1 for under $500. If you want to stick with the old DSLRs, you'll probably need to find a used E5, E3, E30. Depending which lenses you have, you may want to convert to the M43 lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you want to use your existing lenses, then you'll need to get an E-M1 and MMF-3 adapter. The adapter is necessary to account for the difference in flange distance between Micro 4/3 cameras and the older 4/3 DSLR's, as well as the differences in the mount design. The E-M1 is only one of two m43 cameras that has the phase detect AF pixels necessary to focus the majority of the older 4/3 lenses. Used E-M1's can be had for around $500. If you're unsure about buying used, keep an eye out on the Olympus Refurbished Factory Outlet, where they sell refurbished equipment. You'll pay a bit more, but they come with a 90-day warranty from Olympus, and you have the option during those 90 days to extend the factory warranty an additional 2 years by purchased an extended OMD warranty for ~$75-90.

If you plan on keeping the camera for a long time, which I'm assuming you do since you're just now replacing an E-410, this is probably the best route to go.

There is a newer version of the E-M1, the E-M1 II, that is available for $1,700 from the Olympus Refurbished Outlet. It's definitely a nice camera, but it's also way more expensive than an E-M1. Note that currently, there are no refurbished E-M1's available directly from Olympus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alan Reeve

Alan Reeve New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2017
    Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately the easy route in buying an E-m1 from the refurbished Olympus store is out as they do not ship to France. I have seen a few on EBay however I am concesrned with what i will revieve.
    Perhaps it's a good time to replace everything. I am loathed to do so as I have had Olympus all my photo career. O still have my OM1 and OM10 kit with misc lens.
    In which case what do you recommend.
    Thanks

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Ebay has buyer protection as does paypal, if there's a real problem. Just use sound judgement and not to worry. There are also European sellers on our Buy/sell section here. If you are using kit lenses, I'd upgrade everything. If you have any of the better Olympus lenses, you may want to hang onto them, unless you prefer a different model than the EM1. No matter what you do, you're looking at using ebay or similar site for used, whether you buy 4/3rds or M43. I've bought tons of used lenses and bodies and never had to return one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alan Reeve

Alan Reeve New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2017
    Thank you again. Good recommendation.

7. Balinov

Balinov Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    Dublin
    Balazs
    Hi Alan, you may try mpb.com - Buy or Sell Used Photo & Video Equipment, who's specialized in used camera equipment and besides their US division they do trade in the UK as well (and have a dedicated topic here.

Few photog friends of mine bought CaNikon and MFT gear off their UK site with a delivery address in Hungary so I assume they'd delivery to France as well. Their FAQ states they deliver to the EU for 19.95GBP and I see they've EM1MK1's starting at GBP 394..they do give 6mths warranty for all used gear they sell. IMHO if you're moving from the old(ish) E410 the EM5MK1 might be a good choice as well. They sell it from 244£

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Definitely check out mpb.com for an EM1 with six months warranty, and pick up a decent adapter from Amazon or ebay. You can adapt your OM collection as well as the four thirds lenses, although they will be manual focus only.

Even if you decide to go a different route, I'd recommend starting with this kit because you will lose very little if you decide to sell it down the line - prices are already at rock bottom so it's a wining proposition. Plus it's an excellent camera.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think you'll be pretty impressed with the performance of the E-M1 with the MMF-3 compared to your E-410. It is a big step up in sensor performance and usability, and a small investment compared to replacing your whole system. I would definitely 2nd those recommendations, if you can find a seller with a warranty.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Unless you have any of the 4/3s High Grade or Super High Grade Lenses, my advice would be to move on to m4/3s gear. Everything is smaller and lighter except flashes.

The O-MD E-M5 Mark II is about 6mm less in height and width, and the thickness the Mark II is nearly 15mm thinner than the E-410. The O-MD E-M10 Mark II is mm's smaller than the E-M5 Mark II.

For lenses you could get exact replacements for the lenses you currently have, or maybe opt for something you might like better.

• Agree Agree x 1