E-PM2 Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gpburdell, Sep 4, 2014.

1. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Okay, stupid question time...

I bought a refurb E-PM2 during the 15% off sale and finally had time to play around with it. I noticed that I'm not hearing any sound when the stabilizer should kick in like I can with my E-M10. Is this normal or do I need to investigate further?
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    The stabilizer on the EPM2 is only active at the moment of exposure -- i.e. you won't hear it on half-press of shutter button, but will hear it on full-press of shutter button.

It sounds different from the wind-like whir if the EM10 stabilizer.
  3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    E-PM2 has an older (crappier) IBIS than the OMDs. It doesn't do the "humming" nor stabilize the image already in the viewfinder. And to make it worse the IBIS sometimes manages to ruin photos that would be sharper without it. I've disabled the IBIS on my E-PM2 by default and enable it only when I'm shooting longer exposures.
  4. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Cool, thanks. I hadn't bothered to actually take any exposures yet, so didn't even notice. Since I'm planning to do an IR conversion the IBIS wasn't really a consideration, but if it wasn't working I wanted to get it taken care of before I have the camera converted. I'll just turn it off to avoid any issues.

I appreciate the help, thanks folks.
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree with what has been stated, turn it off unless you have very shaky hands or are shooting under 1/20 (with standard lens). It is simply foolish to use it outdoors in plentiful light.