1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM2: Share your discoveries here!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by svtquattro, Nov 25, 2012.

1. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Neat things I noticed about my E-PM2 (I haven't read any parts of the manual...)

Good:
    - The PLAYback zooming is intelligent...it zooms in centered to where the AF point was in the photo! Cool!
    - The camera has Touch AF in video mode, to allow for neat selective focus effects like you can do with Pannys. (I didn't think Olys had this, as the E-P3 reviews I had read, and OM-D reviews, said specifically they don't do this).
    - Can select ART filters from the SCP. Just found this today. In this way, you can keep your shooting mode, like "A" and still get effects. Maybe this is obvious to more seasoned PEN shooters.
    - Finally figured out how to reduce the size of the AF points. But how to have small AF points and still let the camera choose where to focus?
    - The new segment metering (ESP) is brilliant. I hardly ever use exposure compensation in normal shooting.

Bad:
    - It's almost impossible to fire off a single shot when in sequential drive L or H modes.
    - The built-in speaker sucks.
    - Digital zoom x2 mode would be more useful if it just cropped the middle 8MP out of the image, rather than interpolating and scaling the image back to full size.
    - I'd like a bit more sharpness in my OOC JPEGs. Dialing up sharpness to +1 still not enough.
    - Reds look more like Sony reds...the Oly JPEG colours are there, but more intense than ever. Maybe that's good....

Indifferent:
    - In video mode, tracking AF mode kinda works, but with the P14/2.5, there is the AF motor sound constantly in the video.
    - This camera needs an accessory grip like that of the E-M5.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks, can you explain this a lot more?;

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    So, how do you get the small AF points?

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    This review also mentions the Touch AF in video mode:

Camera Labs Review of E-PL5

"The PEN E-PL5 is the first touch-screen Olympus camera that allows you to touch focus during movie recording, neither the PEN E-P3 nor the OM-D E-M5 will allow you to do this, so it's a very welcome addition and one which brings the E-PL5 into the same bracket as the EOS M and Panasonic CSCs . You can see an example of the E-PL5's touch-focus in action in the movie section below."

[ame="http://vimeo.com/54157417"]Vimeo video example of Touch AF[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  5. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hit the left part of the 4 way controller. Spin the dial until the small AF points appear. Hit OK. Shoot.

They work exceptionally well with an adapted 14-54 II. Only issue is you can't seem to set small AF points and have the camera auto select from the grid, as you can with normal AF point size...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    this might be a ridiculous question but can anyone show a side by side physical comparison between the epm2 and the omd? im getting quite interested in getting an epm2 as a second body option.

thanks in advance guys!

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I think that would defeat the purpose of the small AF point. ;)

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Here ya go;

Compare camera dimensions side by side

9. chonghak

chonghak New to Mu-43

Nov 22, 2012
    First time posting here. Just got this camera.

I come from many point and shoot Canon's and always had pleasing color balance, and now with Oly E-PM2 it looks like every indoor picture has reddish tint. (I haven't had time to take it outside yet.) I've read that this may be normal on Olympus. Could this be true? It's mildly driving me nuts! What do you folks do? Adjust the WB setting? Play with Picture mode? Just live with it? What do I set so that I get Canon-like color in all situations, if there is such a thing?

Also, what is this thing called picture mode, such as i-enhance, vivid, natural, and stuff? What I really want is to turn OFF the picture mode. Is natural the closest to having it off?

I come from point and shoot; I'm lazy. :tongue: Please don't tell me to work with RAW; at least, not yet.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

You may want to look for the setting "Keep Warm Color" and turn that off. Kind of a warming filter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chonghak

chonghak New to Mu-43

Nov 22, 2012
    OMG, what a difference that made!!! There should be an insert in every camera manual telling us to turn OFF "keep warm color". What were they thinking when they decided that ON should be the default?!

Thanks you so much krugorg!!! I'm happy now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Beats me.

13. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Same thought I had for why SCP is buried in the menus (you have to turn ON the menu that contains it). Some dumb decisions there.

14. chonghak

chonghak New to Mu-43

Nov 22, 2012
    I took it outside this weekend, I'm very excited with this camera and I'm motivated to get more lenses now. In addition to the kit lens, I've used it with an old Canon FL 55mm f1.2 with an adapter, and I've ordered a 20mm pancake lens now, with an eye out for 45mm and others. It was absolutely the right thing for me to buy the cheapest of the 16MP PEN cameras, so that I may afford to buy a few lenses.

One thing that I noticed is that the camera seems to be hunting for WB with AWB, under certain indoor very low light condition. I cannot be 100% certain that's what's going on, but what I see is that the screen goes from reddish tint to greenish tint and back especially when the background is dark under low light. I've already turned off the "keep warm color". Some pictures turned out with reddish tint, and a video recorded tint keep changing while the video record is going on. So the question is: "is WB locked once the video record starts?" Anyone else noticed something similar? Can someone venture to guess what's going on?

15. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Krugorg, your "keep warm color" OFF tip is great. Made the change to my E-PL5 and it makes a BIG difference to the colors. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    The E-P3 lacks this.... is this in the E-PL5 and E-M5 too?

17. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I still can't figure out how to turn SCP on..

Can you or anybody guide me through it please?!

I had no problem finding it on my E-PL2 but not on this E-PM2...............:confused:

18. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    As far as I understand, only E-PL5 and E-PM2 have it right now. Easy FW feature for E-M5 I would think....

19. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave

To turn on SCP:
    Press "menu" button
    Go down to "custom menu"
    Go to "disp"
    Go to "control settings"
    Go into each mode and turn "live SCP" to "on"

Should work now.