1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM2 or other?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Kevii, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Hi everyone, I've been looking around for a new camera to buy and stumbled upon the E-PM2 lately and was wondering if maybe I should spend a little less on a different camera for my needs. Basically heres a teardown:

1. I have no experience with DSLRs, I used to shoot 35mm and 120mm film. I didn't really have a big photography background since most of the time I just would P&S the film cameras. I dont know how to work with RAWs and etc.etc. Always willing to learn.

2. Most of my pictures are taken either in outdoor bad lighting or low lighting conditions or indoor bad/low light conditions AKA PARRTYS and dinners. I also would do outdoor sunny/overcast/blahblah but MAINLY social settings.

3. I AM looking for good IQ, however it doesn't have to be AMAZING. I mean I just want it to look NICE. I have friends who shoot with nice cameras and I know it wont match up to it but I would like better pics than my iPhone -_-".

4. Pricing isnt really a big factor..but I would rather spend less than more. I would rather start with something less pricey (PM1 or so) and then upgrade down the line. I mean if I wanted to I could buy a E-X1 or OD M5, but with my newbie skills it would be just a waste of money. I just want the best BANG for my BUCK that would be worth my investment.

5. Being portable is kind of a QUESTIONABLE issue. I know that with a big lens that 4/3 cameras aren't portable like P&S, but I'd love to buy some pancake lens to take it out on a more casually.

Mmmm all in all I'm just not sure what to buy lol. I looked on ebay and a PM2 with 40-150 and random accessories like a bag and such was $750, and I looked on the market here for a PM1 and most are around 300. Also, would investing in a EVF be a good choice for these cameras? I know I am only talking about the PEN series but it doesn't mean I am not open to suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read ^_^

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If price were not a factor, I think E-PM2 plus the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake (~$170 on Ebay) and Olympus 45mm f/1.8 ($330 for refurbished like new at Cameta Camera) is ideal for the purposes you described. For somewhat less money and still great for your purposes, you could buy a GX1 (selling used for around $300 these days) plus a Panasonic 20mm pancake.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    An e-pM2 with a good lens will certainly match up to anything for PARTY photos,
    buy a Panasonic Lumix 20mmF1.7
    or a Sigma 19mmF2.8,
    the e-pM2 has great high-ISO Jpegs with excellent colours and whitebalance.

Cheaper models : not so good in dimmer light.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Thanks for replies!

So even though I said price wasn't a big deal, what I was looking for was are there any good runner ups to my purposes that I wouldn't have to spend so much money on right now (GX1 so far). If there isn't, then okay I'm gonna buy the PM2.

Are any of the other Lumix cameras any good? GHX GFX GX-X

Now for the E-PM2 .... should I bother getting it with the kit lens? I was thinking about maybe getting it without the kit and buying the 15mm Body cap lens olly came out with, but then again would the kit lens be useful in learning how to shoot better?

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    From indoor shots posted on various online forums I'd say the GX1 Jpegs are not very pleasant with or without flash in indoor 'people' conditions ... that's compared to Olympus Pens. In operation I'm sure the GX1 is excellent, just not the best tool where Jpegs are wanted and human skin is involved.

The kit lens with the e-pM2 is very FAST at autofocus and should definitely be bought if you've no better m4/3rds lenses already. It is a good lens.
    Because there are better lenses nowadays the 14-42R gets a bit forgotten.
    Buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Perfect response! Thanks for the feedback going to buy myself a PM2 and probably add the 20mm lens + body lens. woop woop into the :43: world i come.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    E-PL5

Well, if you haven't already purchased your camera I am going to throw one more into the mix - Oly E-PL5. I have an E-PM1 which I like to carry with a lot. Nice size. I was reading another thread on this board comparing a Pana G3 to the E-PM1. I am considering upgrading my E-PM1 to the E-PM2. After playing around with cameras on Camera Size Comparison, including the GX1, and looking at features at B&H, I think that the E-PL5 is going to be my E-PM1 replacement. I was also shocked not to see a GX1 vs. E-PL5 thread on this board.

8. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Haven't bought the camera yet due to currently deciding where I should buy it from and which bundles or extras I should buy with it (40-150mm for $99 , Cameta Camera Bundle with extras for like $50), but I did look at the PL5 and I decided the extra swiveling screen was not worth the extra money for me. I'm so much more used to using a viewfinder that I might just pick up a VF-3 for the camera

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have shot too many pictures "blind" not to appreciate a swiveling screen or EVF, or both. Like others on this forum have stated: the first GXx or Pen with a rangefinder EVF will be golden. There are other reasons to consider the E-PL5 over the E-PM2 as well, like external controls. I was shocked to see how close the external dimensions were between the three - E-PM2, GX1 and E-PL5 on camerasize.com. The E-PL5 was just a suggestion for your consideration. Likewise, consider clicking on one the affiliate links like B&H on this site if everything else is equal.

10. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    I think I'll have to go play with both of them at a local camera shop before biting now. I always like the feeling of more external controls as I always used to use a viewfinder anyways. Damn. Cameta doesn't have a package deal with the 150mm lens for landscape photos if I decide to go hiking and whatnot, but I guess I could just buy that later or off craigslist if I decide on the PL5

11. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Hopefully I am not too late to the party, but you should really look at this:

Panasonic DMC-G3 at B&H Photo for $299

It is an excellent micro four thirds camera with a built in EVF and a decent kit lens. The sensor in this camera is better than the older 12MP sensors. The E-PM2 or E-PL5 will outperform the G3, but you will spend $700 or more by the time you add an EVF. This is an outstanding bargain from B&H.

Lee

12. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Haha still haven't made a purchase yet. Taking into consideration that I would be buying an EVF, with the PM2 I would be upwards of $800 + $300 for the 20mm F1.7 lens, and with the PL5 thats $100 more. At this rate I might just settle with the OM-D EM5 and get a 20mm F1.7 lens with that. I saw an OM-D with kit lens, 40-150 and extra battery for $1000 shipped on the forums, which isnt bad at all.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    PM2 or RX100, and I would lean towards the latter, because it's more P&S than the PM2.

14. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Okay I am gonna re-evaluate my priorities real quick and the amount of money I want to spend and what I need and so on and so on..... I'm actually leaning towards the PL5 now because I just realized self portraits are really fun, and more external controls makes me feel alive.

I'll have to question my need for a EVF.. I did see an OD-M + 25mm F1.4 for $1050, but an upgrade is what I want down the line. uggghhh if only I bought the PL5 when it was on sale for Black Friday

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :biggrin: You need a GH3 then.

But seriously, if you want an EVF then the bargain prices of G3 are back on the radar, you didn't mention an EVF at first.
    G3 also has a fully swinging LCD for those self-portraits of you in a bra infront of the mirror.:rofl:

Once you add the cost of the excellent VF-2 ontop of the new prices for the new Pens ... everything starts to approach e-M5 territory ...

16. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you want quality for your $, there is no better than a $450 E-PM2 body. Especially if you want to go party, you don't want all that bulk. I chose it because I think a mode dial is a waste of space and the little Mini has all the features of its big brothers that I care about including a really customizable interface and access to all the good stuff (live bulb, small AF pts, touch AF for video).

However if you want to spend less, a $299 Lumix G3 is a kick ass deal and it'll have a kit lens and an EVF.

I'd go that route if you are new. Better ergonomics than a Pen.

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    IMHO, the size and the sensor of the EPM2 makes it the BEST, 2nd body, or P&S camera on the market right now. slap it a P14mm f2.5 and you have a serious stunning street shooter, wide, landscape, camera. but again, thats me (im waiting on my EPM2 to go with my OMD :-D ).

18. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Omg :/ lol yeah I like to go party and I would love the smaller size haha. Errgggg I really hope there's a PM2 sale soon then I'd jump the gun and I have until dec 31st to decide on the G3 too lol

19. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    At current e-pl5 prices and looking at the secondhand omd deals to be had in the forum, i'd say go for omd em-5. You get:
    1. Many more controls
    2. Tilt screen
    3. 5-axis ibis (you'll get less blurry shots, you can take better pictures in the dark and if you ever make videos with it, your video will look like it's shot on steadycam).
    4. Evf
    5. Pimpin vintage good looks

20. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    This was exactly what I was thinking! I found a OMD + 12-50mm Kit lens for maybe $950-$1000 and the forum has an OMD + 12-42 & 12-150 for $1050! Ugh the only thing I don't want to run into with getting a G3 is that will the quality of the pictures be limited, as in would it come to a point where I will be able to say "Wow this is as well as the camera can shoot in the dark and I want better"? Ergonomics and Looks sort of matter to me and since I do have money if it really comes down to getting the an OM-D for price value and potential I can do it.

Edit: Looks like after all the mess, I'm going to be picking up an OM-D with 14-42 II R and 40-150 ED lens and little extras for $950 :thumbup: