E-PM2 help, please

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcake, May 14, 2013.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    so i've been playing with my new E-PM2. for the most part, everything is great, but i've run into a pair of issues i can't seem to fix.

when i shoot in room light or darker, it seems like the camera ups the gain or something. the best example is our livingroom floor. the floor is a typical orangey-yellowish hardwood floor - it's not all that bright of a color although not dull. it's coming out BRIGHT reddish orange. i changed to muted, adjusted the white balance by color. i made some other adjustments, as well. while many things made some improvement, everything is still cartoon colors.

the second half of this problem is that when i adjusted everything, what i saw in my monitor was completely accurate, but the pics are still coming out very bright and oversaturated.

part of the time i access the settings i'm changing in the settings, part of the time on the super control panel. i've tried this in P and S modes.

any suggestions? at the very least, i'd like my pics and monitor to look the same - at best, i'd like my indoor pics to be accurate or at least less bright and closer to accurate.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Keep Warm Colors => OFF
    Camera 1 => Picture Mode => Natural (Make sure Graduation is on Normal, but that is default for this Picture Mode)
    Sprocket => Color/WB => Shading Comp => OFF

If there's still a big variance between your LCD and your monitor then you can adjust the LCD on you camera for both exposure and color balance by going to Menu => Wrench and look for an icon that looks like this: [​IMG]

However, I must caution you... first step before adjusting your camera's screen is to ensure that your computer monitor is properly calibrated! Remember that computer monitors are all different if not calibrated to each other, and will be viewed differently by each user. Your monitor should be calibrated to your most used display medium, be it print or digital. If it's for the internet then you have to understand that there won't be much consistency but you can do your best. After your monitor is calibrated the way you want it, THEN you can set your camera's LCD to match.

Also be aware of different display types. If you have a Mac then your monitor will be a lot brighter and punchier than a Windows computer. Same if you use a desktop monitor over a laptop monitor. If your camera had an OLED screen like on the touch-screen models, then your camera's screen would be brighter and punchier than the LCD. You have to account for all of this when developing a workflow of screen settings from camera to computer to final medium.
  3. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    alas, all my settings were already as you describe, but thanks for taking the time to post.

i turned keep warm colors off first thing when i got the camera - i think because of one of your posts, actually.

picture mode was on muted, but i turned it back to natural and made sure grad is normal - it was. shading comp is off.

if only the pic didn't come out differently than what's shown on the screen. i set up the shot, change things till it looks exactly the way i want. i take the pic, and when the preview shows up for 2 seconds, it's like 3x brighter and redder in browns, reds and related colors. when the preview turns off, it's very obvious since i'm again looking at an accurately colored image.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, so in other words the Preview on the camera is brighter and warmer than the LiveView image... but when you say the PC version is different, do you mean it's different from the LiveView image or from the saved Preview?

If only the LiveView is different but the saved preview is the same as the computer version, then there may not be much you can do except chimp the image to be sure it's right... in other words, going back to the DSLR method. ;) There are some things which can negatively impact LiveView. Lack of light for instance, makes LiveView inaccurate and noisy because it has to digitally compensate. If you're using manual lenses then make sure you compose wide open to get the best LiveView results, otherwise the camera has to struggle through the small aperture. Try shooting in more "ideal" conditions and see if that improves the discrepancy any.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Hmmmm. I've always been able to get my Olympus camera displays to reasonable match my computer -- color and brightness; the camera screen is always more contrasty.

Wish I could help, but aside from adjusting the color and brightness in the menu, I've never had to do anything except maybe turn off "keep warm colors", a setting a loathe.

I have an E-PM2 on the way, so if you figure it out, please let us know. I'll post my experience next week after the camera arrives.