E-PM2: Dark Subject in Bright Background

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Aug 3, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    So I have a few black and brown friends (not to sound racist), and taking pictures of them during day is rather difficult.

I am using E-PM2 with 12-40mm f/2.8.

- I have Warm Colors turned off
    - No Anti-Shock, set to Single
    - WB is Auto
    - ISO is Auto
    - I take pictures in A-Mode
    - I have metering set to Center-Weighted
    - I have Picture Mode set to Natural
    - AF Mode is S-AF
    - AF Area is everything (all green squares)
    - No other changed settings

Is there a way to make it so my camera focuses on the dark subject but not the bright background?

Also, is there a way to reduce the bright backgrounds so my subject can "pop out" more?
    Or, brighten out the subject while darkening the background?

2. Set the focus point to the center, place that focus point on the subject, focus, and then recompose.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Adjust exposure accordingly and/or use a fill flash.

Good luck,

--Ken

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Use pin point focus/metering off the darkest spot even if it isn't in the center. Then keep the shutter button half depressed to get the composition you want.

5. I think he was talking about focus not exposure.

But yeh.... exposure in those conditions is tough! Shot as second photographer in a wedding with a dark skin/light skin couple in daylight. Between the two of us, we did fine but I was a bit stressed.

[EDIT]

Oh... I didn't see the OP added another question...

What worked for us was mostly relying on fill flash (several units in high sync mode) or reflectors and very carefully choosing the locations/direction to shoot. If I was just shooting candids out and about, I would simply use a hot shoe mounted flash for fill (using an ND filter if necessary).

• Like Like x 1
  6. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Have you tried using face detect? I find it works quite well - it should prioritise the focus on your friends' faces.