E-PM2: Dark Subject in Bright Background

dbzkid777

Mu-43 Regular
So I have a few black and brown friends (not to sound racist), and taking pictures of them during day is rather difficult.

I am using E-PM2 with 12-40mm f/2.8.

- I have Warm Colors turned off
- No Anti-Shock, set to Single
- WB is Auto
- ISO is Auto
- I take pictures in A-Mode
- I have metering set to Center-Weighted
- I have Picture Mode set to Natural
- AF Mode is S-AF
- AF Area is everything (all green squares)
- No other changed settings

Is there a way to make it so my camera focuses on the dark subject but not the bright background?

Also, is there a way to reduce the bright backgrounds so my subject can "pop out" more?
Or, brighten out the subject while darkening the background?

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Adjust exposure accordingly and/or use a fill flash.

Good luck,

--Ken
I think he was talking about focus not exposure.

But yeh.... exposure in those conditions is tough! Shot as second photographer in a wedding with a dark skin/light skin couple in daylight. Between the two of us, we did fine but I was a bit stressed.

[EDIT]

Oh... I didn't see the OP added another question...

What worked for us was mostly relying on fill flash (several units in high sync mode) or reflectors and very carefully choosing the locations/direction to shoot. If I was just shooting candids out and about, I would simply use a hot shoe mounted flash for fill (using an ND filter if necessary).

jjinh

Mu-43 Regular
Have you tried using face detect? I find it works quite well - it should prioritise the focus on your friends' faces.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom