1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM2 as upgrade from E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wlewisiii, Jul 28, 2014.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Recently I busted the back screen on my E-PL1. It still works with my VF3 but it's a pain to deal with.

I could buy an LCD and repair it. That's my cheapest option.

OTOH, I may have a little extra money next month. That opens up the idea of an upgrade.

There seems to be no real reason to bother with anything between the E-PL1 to the 16 mp generation. Of the 16 mp generation, the E-PM2 can be had for the most reasonable price. It would seem to be going from one generations entry level to another generations entry level camera but with a few improvements in sensor but with even fewer external controls than the E-PL1.

I am used to doing 90% of my adjustments via the SCP so I'm not sure how big an issue that is.

I intend to continue to use the VF3 with whatever I get as I won't have the cash to improve to the VF2 or VF4.

Thoughts & suggestions?

Thank you.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The E-PM2 has excellent IQ and is small and light. The touchscreen makes up for some of the lack of explicit buttons but you have to get used to this. If you can spend a little more, the EPL5 is a worthy upgrade from a control standpoint, although the PM2 can easily hold it's own in term of IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  3. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I bought the E-PM2 as an upgrade over the E-PL2 and it was definitely worth it. I loved the look and feel of the E-PL2 (and the built in flash was great), but as much as I miss it, it was worth it. The pictures from the E-PM2 are noticeably better and I have another 2 stops in ISO before the noise is bothersome. The touchscreen is good and does partially make up for the lack of external controls. However, I will say that if price wasn't an issue, I would have gotten the E-PL5 instead. But with the deals on the E-PM2, it was the right choice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I've been very pleased with my dirt cheap red e-pm2. Look for a clearance deal. By far the least painful way into the 16mp sensors and very stealthy. Nobody takes you seriously with a bright red camera!

• Like Like x 1
  5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I'd agree that looking around for deals will probably serve you well if you're on a budget for the camera. My story on that is, I spent weeks looking at cameras before going with the PM2+14-42iir kit lens for $387 (by grabthar's hammer, what a savings). Then in the next month, having got deeper into forums and having a whole load of store/discount site bookmarks, I found a deal for the VF-4 for $67, and the E-P5 for $604. Which put together were about as much as people wanted for the E-PL5 kit by itself when I had done my first run through prices and stores and deals. So at that point I realised - pretty much only suckers ever pay anything like retail price for a camera :D

So. Is the deal on the PM2 you're looking at like the best deals that have ever been offered on it ($200 w/ 14-42, $256 w/ 14-42+40-150)? Is it even close to those deals? It is just about on its last legs as far as its time in the current lineup goes, so if anything you could even hold out for better deals even than that depending on how urgently you need a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-PM2 certainly will be a great upgrade from the EPL1. On the other hand, replacing the back portion of the camera should be fairly easy assuming you can find another for parts real cheap. I just did a full spectrum conversion on my E-PL1 and it only takes a few screws and a couple ribbon cables disconnects to separate the LCD and button assembly.

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/olympus-e-pl1-ir

• Like Like x 1
  7. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I have an E-PL1 that I got for dirt cheap because it was paired with the 14-42IIR and 40-150R. PM me if you just want a replacement. Otherwise I definitely recommend the E-PM2. It gives up the magnifying function button and the mode dial. That's it.

8. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm still hanging onto my E-PL1. I use the flash enough to miss it, so wouldn't buy either the E-PM2 or E-PL5 despite the IQ improvements. The dinky clip-on flash is horrible (my wife has an E-PM1) and I'm not even especially impressed with the E-P5: I expect (hope?) my next camera to be a GX7, which has a similar pull-back flash and handles better than the E-P5, in my opinion.

I know people heap scorn on built-in flashes, but it's surprising how often you can add enough light for a good lens to create a usable image. Typically, I use it to fill shadows in sunny shots and bounce it to add some light in dim lighting situations (e.g. casual restaurant shots). You won't win awards, but for a compact, carry-everywhere camera, I think this makes a huge difference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I particularly liked the size and ergonomics of the E-PL1, so the difference in handling between it and a smaller camera like the E-PM2 is something to keep in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
    I can confirm all those statements... I upgraded from PL1/PL2 to PM2 and love especially to IQ-related things: better ISO-Performance and better dynamic range... I have to say that I shoot RAW only... the IBIS is as worse as in the older PENs...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy both.
    A used e-pL1 body is going to be less than £100 and gives you back the bounce flash and great colours,
    and a cheap newish e-pM2 will give you the faster focusing and low-noise-high-ISO and art-filter-bracket.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    The E-PM2 is a great camera for the price. For me, comparing E-PM1 and E-PM2, there's a massive difference when using the higher ISOs (not so much in daytime).

The E-PM2 doesnt have that few external controls - the 4 customisable buttons and 1 control dial are more than sufficient for me. Compared to my E-M5 that's 1 less button, 1 less control dial (not a big deal as you can use the wheel for two functions, e.g. both A and EV compensation in A mode), and no mode dial (just use the touch screen).

• Like Like x 1
  13. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I bought an epm2 because it was the cheapest or converted camera I could find at the time. I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. For me, I was sure I wouldn't like the controls, but they're OK for me. The size and weight are great.

• Like Like x 1