E-PM2 & 17mm 1.8 manual focusing help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ukm43fan, Mar 15, 2013.

1. ukm43fan

ukm43fan Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 11, 2012
    So I now hve this lens which if you are debating about getting based in the mixed reviews, don't wait. It is a really great lens and has plenty of character, super fast autofocus and perfect fov (if you like 35mm equivalent).

Anyway it has great manual focusing potential and to be honest I have never manual focused before so can anyone give me a heads up on how to set it up?

I guess I want to be able to use autofocus but if the desire arises snap the ring back an manual focus. Would be good if it could automatically zoom in to the area so I can focus in detail.

Any hints, tips or advice to do this would be great.
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    It can automatically zoom in. Look through your menus: Gears/MF-AF/MF Assist -- set this to "ON"

Now when you turn your focus ring, your display will magnify image (you have to set how much with the Magnify Button) automatically, and go back to normal view as soon as you let go of the ring.

3. ukm43fan

ukm43fan Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 11, 2012
    Yes this is the one setting I changed and nothing seemed to happen so that's why I started this thread. I have it to in but when I turn ring (or pull back to manual focus) it is still the same and not magnified.
  4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I don't know for sure on the 17mm, but on the 12mm focus assist only works when you have the ring in auto focus position; when in snap focus mode, it's completely decoupled from the camera which no longer can tell if you're focusing or not.

I use it like any other focus by wire lens if you want to manually focus on something specific using the viewfinder. The snap focus mechanism really comes in handy for zone focusing, pre-focusing in anticipation of quick movement, and when it's so dark that the distance scale gives you a better idea of focus than the screen (less so in the last case though, because at least on the 12mm they want you to be at least f/5.6 or something silly ).