1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 with UHS-I card, useful?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Agent_K64, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    I just ordered my E-PM1. :) I now need to pick suitable storage for it. It claims to support UHS-I in the spec sheet, but would it make use of all this write speed? There's the SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB UHS-I that I'm considering, but I'm wondering if that would be a waste of money. Should I stick with class 6 or 10 from a reputable manufacturer like SanDisk, instead?

I'm a total newb when it comes to photography. This will be my first (semi-)serious camera, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Video or stills? If video you will need a class 10 for sure, if stills and your taking multiple shots one after another, or using burst mode them again class 10 more than likely, and the higher the write speed the less chance the camera will back up due to write tines. I personally use sandisk extreme III with a 45 MB/s write rating. I use an e-p2 and a e-p3 and it seems good enough for me. CLASS RATING IS A LITTLE MISLEADING, so find the read and write time ratings to be sure it will do for your requirements. The class number only guarantees a minimum rate so as I said find the actual values. Hope this helps you out. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your E-PM1, from a fellow Canuck.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have a couple of those same sandisk extreme III with the 45mbs write times - they're the only card that really make the X100 a tolerable camera (to me). I've used them in an EP3 when I had one without incident. But neither of them will work in my EPL3 - I get "card error" messages when I try. I've tried two separate cards that work in my other cameras, so there's nothing wrong with the cards. There must be an incompatibility with the EPL3, so I'd guess there might also be with the EPM1.

-Ray

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Do the cards still not work after reformatting on your E-PL3? That's a bummer!

5. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Yeah, I understand the class speed and other technical things with the cards themselves. :p You shouldn't trust that 45 MB/s write rating, however; it's an ideal "up to" number (mostly marketing) that you won't get in practice.. and some manufacturers claim that as their read speed (without specifying), which is easier to get faster than the write speed. But thanks for sharing your experience, that info is should help.

For those curious, here's some performance comparisons for sequential write, which is the most important metric, I believe:

[​IMG]
    Source: Tom's Hardware

The question is if the E-PM1 can do anything that would require an actual 36 MB/s write speed. Video recording shouldn't require that much, but I'm not sure about burst shooting since I have no clue how it's implemented in the camera. D:

Eek! More things to consider. And Olympus' memory card compatibility page was put together sloppily; they seem to list UHS-I cards under Class 10. :(

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Your chart is I treating but it doesn't include the card I mentioned as the extreme III it shows is class 6, mine are class 10 and 8GB instead of 4GB. don't know if that makes much difference, but I would be interested to see the time for the card I use. Good luck with your search. As per Rays's findings, I wonder why they work in the e-p3 and not the e-pl3 , and this doesn't guarantee they will or won't work in the e-pm1 I'd say it's a 50/50 as it works in one and doesn't work in one of a family of three.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    FWIW, I have two of them and they both do the same thing. I can't format them in camera either - it just gives me a "card error" message and I can't do anything with that card in the cam. And at least one of them worked fine in the ep3.

-Ray

8. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Your card most likely has an average write throughput of 20-21 MB/sec, just like all those other high quality non-UHS cards. It's interesting how distinctly the tiers are separated. :)

You could also measure it yourself if you have a card reader for your PC, but I wouldn't do it, as unnecessary writes wear out the card unnecessarily.

9. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    No I believe that page is correct, the devil is in the details :)

UHS and regular cards are NOT inherently compatible. (reference : https://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/)

Some manufacturers have build dual bus cards so they effectively are compatible...
    Sandisk is one example, that's why their card is labeled both class 10 for people who have devices that aren't UHS compatible and UHC-1 for people who are UHC capable. (reference : SanDisk Extreme® Pro)

that's my understanding of it ... for now anyways...

10. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    I understand that, but when they list a UHS-I card under Speed Class 10, it makes it look like the camera will treat it as a Class 10 card, while the camera in fact has UHS-I support. That in turn leads me to wonder if it'll make use of the UHS-I speed.

And that page is weird in more ways than one. I tried to look up the model name SDSDX-008G, listed under Class 10, but that turns out to be a Class 6 card. :(

I've found a Lexar Professional 8GB Class 10 on sale for $25.
    The Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB UHS-I is on sale for $50.
    The questionable benefits of UHS-I in this case are probably not worth double the price, right?

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I've been using this SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 45 MB/s card SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB (SDHC) 45MB/s UHS-1 Card
    in my lowly E-PL1 for several weeks now and it's performed flawlessly. I previously used this same card for 3 months in a big Canon T3i DSLR. To use it in the E-PL1 I simply inserted it and hit the Format button. I've also used a SanDisk Class 10 card in both cameras without problems. The class 10 seems sufficient and the UHS-I my be overkill.