E-PM1 with custom LEGO grip.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pcnyc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Was about to get a flipbac, or just put some hockey tape to improve the grip of my e-pm1, the I saw a box of LEGO on my desk and thought, "what the heck."

First try was with simple double-sided tapes. came off too easily. then I found some unused 3M "command" adhesive strips, cut off a little piece, used a permenant marker to blacken the sides of the strip, and this is what I get:

The yellow plate is 1x4 with flat top, I wanted to use the flat surface so I can apply the adhesive strip. The cool thing about this is that I can customize the other bricks that goes on top of the 1x4. I picked the red 1x1 round stud so I can put my finger around it and not get poked by the sharp edge. below that my choice of the 1x3 wedge is inspired by the flipbac G2 design.

more pics:

• Like Like x 11
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Clever! Think I might prefer something a little more rounded myself, though...

• Like Like x 1
  3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    actually I tried a few configurations afterward and found that taking out the wedge works best for me, I don't need a real "grip" for a compact camera like this, just something that my fingers can catch on to, so in a way the wedge was kinda getting in the way.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    :2thumbs:100% PIMP!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice. Very creative!
  6. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I originally thought that this was an original piece on the camera, but then i was like, SUPER COOL!!!!
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    No fear of dropping it when the sticky turns loose? ...!
  8. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    not with these command strips, i've been using them to hang winter coats on the back of my closet doors and they are holding up well after a year, so I know they are pretty tough.

and it's not like I am going to let the camera dangle in my hand by the grip. the main idea of adding a grip for me is just to add some leverage, to make it easier to pick the camera up and get it in and out of a camera bag, for that purpose this setup is working pretty well so far.
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I don't know . . . trying to be nice . . . but IMO it sort of cheapens the camera. The Freniac is so slick; looks like it's original.

On the other hand, I'm one of those guys who's always rolling his eyes when people go on and on about how cool their camera looks, instead of how well it takes pictures. So maybe I should just shut up, and go and take pictures.

I think that's what I'm going to do.

EDIT: it's new and different. Certainly no worse than the white cameras or (heaven forbid!) this.
  10. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    You were pretty nice, so no offense taken. :) you are not the first, either, My wife was against this idea from the beginning, and she still thinks it looks kinda tacky, but "at least it's not duct tape."

I don't disagree with her but I am keeping it anyway. I do like the looks of the Freniac and flipbac grips, very slick and OEM-looking. I just thought I'd try to put my personal spin on it before getting them, and ended up liking what I did. I like how it's "original" in a different sense, and how it's functional, and I like how it says quite a bit about me. That I love homebrews and that I love LEGOs.

Most of all, that I love my pen mini. I normally don't put blings or any kind of personalization on my gears, as it usually hurts resale value, so I only "duct tape" things I keep and use all the time, like my e-reader, my computer, my desk. my pen mini.
  11. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Two things.

I get what you're dying about cheapening it but I disagree. It gives it originality IMO. But you are entitled to your opinion so it's cool. Plus you were nice about it.

The second thing I feel is that I think everyone probably post from work. I do the same thing where I put my camera on my desk. It's a great conversation starter even from the boss.
  12. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You can use Technic LEGO if you feel if it cheapens it, then you can add a vertical shutter switch.