1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 w/ panny 14-45 (Jello effect)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blaffendespin, Apr 21, 2012.

1. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Hey everyone!

I was just curious if anyone has used a Panasonic 14-45mm Mega OIS on an E-PM1 (OR SOMETHING SIMILAR) and if that helped at all with the rolling shutter/jello effect. I love the pics out of my E-PM1, but the video (while excellent quality) is a little disappointing. Anyone have any experience with this? Or would you recommend any other lenses for more stable video?

Thanks! :friends:

2. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan
  3. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    I forgot to turn IBIS off when shooting video today. All my recorded videos definitely had the jelly effect in them. It's disappointing that a camera so great can be marred so heavily by one of its features.

I'm thinking about looking for an Panasonic 14-45mm or 14-42mm just so I can record decent videos.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The IBIS in video is a software trick (officially it's called something like digital image stabilization), and as you've seen, not a particularly effective one.

Note that on Olympus bodies you cannot enable OIS on Panasonic lenses without physical OIS switches on the lens barrel, so if you want OIS, the Panasonic 14-42 (and the X 14-42) are both out. The 14-45, 45-200, 100-300 and 45/2.8 will work though.

DH

5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I have an E-P3 and, as has been said, the IBIS makes things a lot worse. Since it's done in software there's no real benefit anyway as you can deshake that way later if you like. So turn it off and use the lens OIS every time when you have it.

In Olympus's defense :) I think the average consumer is going to find jello more acceptable than shake and since Olympus don't have OIS in their lenses it's the only solution they can offer. Apart from cropping the image too, it's quite good for non critical stuff.