1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 vs E-PL3 vs E-P3 Video Capabilities?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by M4/3, Oct 21, 2011.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm definately going to buy one of these three cameras in the near future because they offer improved video clarity over the 1st and 2nd generation PEN cameras.

But are the E-PM1 / E-PL3 / E-P3 truly identical in terms of video capabilities and quality of output?

Or does the E-P3 have the edge in some ways such as either better video quality or more manual control over shutter speed, arperture, iso and so forth?

Or is the E-PM1 truly capable of doing anything an E-P3 can do, except for the fact that settings must be selected using the menu system rather than more directly with dials and buttons as on the E-P3? Thanks.

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No responses so far to my questions, so today I went down to a Ritz Camera store and popped one of my memory cards into their demo E-PL3 and shot a 720p video out the store window. Then took the card home and played the video on my Mac computer. I was pleasantly surprised to see the clarity of the E-PL3 720p video was significantly better than my E-PL1 720p video. So I am definately motivated to purchase an E-PL3 or E-P3 now because I need high quality video as well as high quality stills.

The E-PL3 video did suffer considerable rolling shutter wobble, however, but I understand this problem can be almost eliminated by turning the image stabilization off and that down the line their may be a firmware fix for the wobble.

I also shot a still photo out the window of the Ritz camera store with the E-PL3 and it looked just as good if not better than my E-PL1 stills - probably better because the newest generation PENS have improved automatic white balance control.

E-PL3 Video sample
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndy0ihtkEZg]E-PL3 - YouTube[/ame]

E-PL1 Video sample
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XoYdEQ3upo]E-PL1 - YouTube[/ame]

3. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Since their sensor and specs are essentially equivalent, I don't see why their movie capabilities would differ.

4. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    The video may be clearer on the new generation Oly cameras, but the jello is awfully bad. Until that is sorted, they aren't for me.

5. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

Just turn off the IBIS and the jello problem disappears.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Steve Huff says "video quality is superb" "audio quality is great" "jello effect can be eliminated by turning off IBIS."
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/user/stevehuff1969#p/u/13/EGtiJz08Eyc]stevehuff1969's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

I'm sold!