E-PM1 vs E-PL1/2/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian Beezley, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Comparing RAW images using dpreview's comparison widget, at ISO 200 and 400 the E-PM1 seems noticeably fuzzier than the E-PL1/2/3. I'm curious whether anyone who owns an E-PM1 and one of the E-PLs has noticed this. I also see differences in color and contrast between the E-PM1/E-PL3 and the E-PL1/2. The resolution difference is pretty much gone by ISO 800 although the color/contrast difference remains. The images were processed with different versions of Adobe Camera Raw. Could this account for the differences?

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Review: 20. Compared to Raw: Digital Photography Review

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    The EPL1 looks a little better than the other three (EPM1, EPL2, EPL3). As I have read, the EPL1 has the weakest of AA filters in the Pen (OMD to change that, I think). The EPM1, PL2 and PL3 look the same to my eyes.

Having said that, I tested my EPM1 to my EPL2 and EP1. The EP1 lagged the other two, and the EPM1 was good enough that I sold my PL2 (don't remember if I thought one was better than the other, but I thought they were close enough).
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The advantages of the E-PM1 in speed, size and metering alone were worth what I felt were VERY small differences in IQ.
  4. schawo

schawo New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    PL3 is as fast as PM1