1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PM1 vs E-PL1/2/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian Beezley, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Comparing RAW images using dpreview's comparison widget, at ISO 200 and 400 the E-PM1 seems noticeably fuzzier than the E-PL1/2/3. I'm curious whether anyone who owns an E-PM1 and one of the E-PLs has noticed this. I also see differences in color and contrast between the E-PM1/E-PL3 and the E-PL1/2. The resolution difference is pretty much gone by ISO 800 although the color/contrast difference remains. The images were processed with different versions of Adobe Camera Raw. Could this account for the differences?

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Review: 20. Compared to Raw: Digital Photography Review

Brian

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The EPL1 looks a little better than the other three (EPM1, EPL2, EPL3). As I have read, the EPL1 has the weakest of AA filters in the Pen (OMD to change that, I think). The EPM1, PL2 and PL3 look the same to my eyes.

Having said that, I tested my EPM1 to my EPL2 and EP1. The EP1 lagged the other two, and the EPM1 was good enough that I sold my PL2 (don't remember if I thought one was better than the other, but I thought they were close enough).

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The advantages of the E-PM1 in speed, size and metering alone were worth what I felt were VERY small differences in IQ.

4. schawo

schawo New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    PL3 is as fast as PM1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.