1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 users - get a grip.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twmangrove, Dec 18, 2011.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hi folks,
    In between the odd tech question I like to provide little comments that might help or be of interest to fellow E-PM1 adopters.
    Like quite a few of you, I'm sure, I too have picked up a flipbac grip. The G2 to be exact. And though I put it on just a hair crooked, it really makes a phenomenal difference. At first I thought, eh, I could live without. I had had been holding out for a leatherette skin, which has not yet come available. So I thought I'd try the G2. Fantastic. Good and grippy, feels very solid and improves the ergonomics quite substantially. At least for my hands. Mind you, if the EMP1 is already too small for you, a grip add on probably won't make much of a difference.
    For the price, the flipbac is totally worth it - add it to must have extras: ACMAXX screen cover and a good wrist strap. Oh, and the Panny 14 mm.:smile:
    Still enjoying the camera immensely. And would buy it again immediately, especially with the price dropping as it is.
    Good day.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Have you seen the Richard Franiec grips :confused:

3. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm using a flipbac G2 on mine as well. It makes a world of difference. I like the look of the fraenic grip, but was able to purchase 3 flipbac grips (all three models) for less than the fraenic.

4. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hey, yup, saw the Franiec grip. It's lovely but I too went for the flibac for the low cost. Heck, that's why I went for the PM1. The little $12 grip (with shipping) is more than adequate, and the material is really grippy. That's part of why I posted. It's okay to go cheap here, and totally worth it.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I also have the Flipbac and wouldn't have it any other way. The Franiec piece does look nice but the silicone material Flipbac uses is really nice.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I thought Panasonic made the G1? Where'd this picture of the Olympus G1 come from?

EPL3-white-with-G1.

7. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    It's just an Olympus (E-PM1?) with the flipbac G1 grip.

I have the Franiac grip on my XZ-1, and I gotta say it is worth every penny. It's actually a metal composition, so it feels strong and goes amazingly well with the camera.

And yes, the ACMAXX screen protectors, go on all of my cameras. They work amazingly well and give a good peace of mind. The only one I haven't used it on was my G2, due to the touch screen.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I opted getting a half case for my E-PM1 with the built-in grip and the added protection of having a leather case. Works great!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I know, I was just kidding. :wink:

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Along those same lines, I ordered the G3 grip for the incoming E-PM1. So....even after I sell my G3, I'll still have a G3 :confused::biggrin:

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    In a bit of defense for the Franiec grips:

I don't mind paying the $30 some odd USD for this....:smile:

12. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've purchased Franiec grips for my Canon G7, G9, and S100; the grips are of unparalleled quality. I opted for the Flipbac for the E-PM1 because of ergonomics; for a camera that might wind up being front-heavy with certain lenses, I wanted a straight rather than contoured finger hold.

• Like Like x 1
  13. exciter0

exciter0 New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2011
    Another suggestion....

How about the E-P3 grip on the E-PM1? Sexy, I say! I bonded it on so it's permanent. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Ooh I like that Grip.
    Where did you get the case from Jonathan?

15. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I used my E-PM1 on Christmas Day with no add-on grip, as my Flipbac wasn't scheduled to arrive until Tuesday. Surprisingly, I had no trouble handling the camera "naked".

Nevertheless, today I installed the grip (G3 model: vertical with a small horizontal lip at the top - similar design to the large grip for the E-P3); within 5 minutes I had removed it. Not the right one for this camera and me.

Contemplating whether to try one of the other designs or to continue to use without, relying on a wrist strap to enhance my hold on the camera. To be continued...

16. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I don't have any experience with the E-P3 grip so excuse my question. How did you attach that grip to the E-PM1 and how difficult was it? (Grip looks awesome!)

Thanks in advance

17. exciter0

exciter0 New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2011
    I bought the E-P3 grip accessory from Adorama, only $17. Normally it's attached to the E-P3 body with the screw. On the back of the grip there's a piece of felt fabric on adhesive, I removed it so it's bare plastic. Then I filed down the screw thread so it doesn't touch the E-PM1 body. After that, I used JB Weld epoxy to bond the grip to the E-PM1 body and clamp it for a few hours. JB Weld is some strong stuff, so I'm pretty sure it won't come off from normal use.

18. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    That is HOT. Thanks for posting.

Question - Could you pop out the grip area from the grip frame and attach that instead of the entire grip with the screw?

19. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    That is nice!

That is so OEM looking on the epm1 hahaha.
    Did it improved the handling quite a bit?
    Now i'm wondering if the bigger version of this grip will work....

20. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Any problem with the USB access door with this grip?

Any problem accessing the USB door?
    I really like how ur grip mod turned out...it has that retro look to it.
    I might give this a try but I have an E-PL3 instead.

Alan