1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 upgrade to OM-D ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rich00, Jun 17, 2012.

1. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi all,

I've been eyeing out the OM-d for sometime. Just trying to justify the upgrade, so would like some advice or opinions.

I purchased my E-PM1 in October 2011, it's my first decent camera coming from a canon IXUS 60. I wanted to get more inviolved in photography so this

Since then I've tried legacy lenses OM 50 f1.8, FD 28 F2.8 and FD 24 f2.8. I tried legacy lenses to get a feel for manual lenses and to experience a shallower DOF before going for the native options. I also bought a VF3 since I didn't like using the LCD screen as a view finder.

I've been taken pics of a varirty of subjects, family, kids, urban and starting to dabble in a little street photography ( still building up the courage). The flickr link in my signature is an example of what I like and do.

The reason for me on why I want to upgrade are:
    - Built in EVF, I find the EVF3 a little small especially when wearing glasses. My eyesight is pretty bad that I can't adjust the diopter to remove the need for glasses.
    - Better ISO, I'm finiding 800 being my "personal limit"
    - More fiddly buttons and dials. The e-pm1 has only one programable button. I would like to have exposure lock and focus lock assigned tro specific keys. Also have ISO assigned to one of the dials would be great.

I have the sigma 19 and 30 and like them on the e-pm1. I'm not sure if the Om-D would be wasted with these lenses. I would like to get the panny/leica 25 at some stage. I also have the Oly 45 which I would keep.

I would be selling the e-pm1 and the vf3 to fund the OM-D.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers
    Rich

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    A couple of quick comments:

On the E-M5, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot set the ISO to a dial. You can program a button for ISO and then make your selection.

A heads up that the resale value would be fairly low right now. It may make more sense to keep it as your compact shooter? The E-M5 is pretty small, but the E-PM1 is actually pocketable with something like the P14 or P20. I think the E-M5 and PM1 would be complementary, if you can swing it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I wouldn't mind hearing if there are any sigma and OM D users, to see what the experince is like.

I've been reading the manual and it seems only a matter of time...

4. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I have the OM-D and the Sigma 19. I really like having a 35mm equivalent and the 17mm Oly is just not that good of a lens. I haven't shot a lot with it, but everything I have used it for I have been very happy with the results.

I also have the Panisonic/Leica 25 and you'll have to pry that out of my cold dead hands, because you won't get it otherwise. This is my everyday do everything lens and it's always on the camera. Highly recommended.

5. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    The panny 25 would be nice, but I wouldn't be able to do the e-m5 and it one go.

I've got the sigma 30 and I like the FOV but would like a shallower DOF.

6. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    I think you are wrong about the E-PM1's only having one programmable button. You can program each of the directions of the back dial, and even the record button.
    The ISO problem is one that bothers me, too, BTW. It's pretty un-impressive for such a late generation camera.

7. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Couldn't resist the temptation any longer, so I bought the black omd. So far it feels good in the hand, the extra width makes handling easier. The buttons are a bit fiddly, but the dials are great. The LCD is fantastic, clear,sharp and bright.

Have taken some shots this morning, so will post them soon.

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Congrats on your new camera! You will find the Sigma 19mm works great with the OM-D (faster than on the Pen too).

The spongy feeling buttons are a nessesary evil for weather sealing, I'm afraid.