E-PM1 tuning for colour accuracy

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twmangrove, Feb 26, 2012.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hey folks,
    I have an E-PM1 colour query. Recently my family and I went on a sleigh ride and I brought my camera along - first outing in a while for it. When I brought the picks home I learned that the reds come out pretty hot on this camera - moving into an orange. I also found caucasian skin tones to come out on the pinkish side (this varies though pending on lighting situations).
    The hot reds are lessened somewhat when I shoot on natural setting. (Actually, I've come to prefer the natural setting over ienhance, though that can be a pleasing setting at times.)
    I also just had a look on digitalcamerainfo.com where they compare the colours of the E-P3 and the E-PM1. They find the P3 to be very accurate, whereas the PM1 seems to be (unsurprisingly) geared to consumers who like punchy colours. I don't mind a bit of punch from time to time, though I'd rather not have blown out reds and pinkish hues on faces.
    So I thought I'd do a shout out and see if anyone has successfully tuned their PM1 to yield greater colour accuracy, and what settings has allowed this?

Other than this, still digging the camera.
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    You probably have your camera set in i-Enhance color mode, right? IIRC the most accurate-to-reality colors are when you set the camera to Muted. Try that first, and possibly drop the saturation down a notch.
  3. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Thank Promit,
    I'll fiddle around with that setting and see what it does for me.