1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 to E-PL5 for cropping?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thinh Ly, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    So I've started trying out shooting from the hip recently and have been doing a lot of cropping to fine tune the composition. I know that more megapixels allows you to crop further but is the change from 12mp to 16mp even noticeable?

Also, would a 16mp APS-C be better for cropping than a 16mp m43 sensor? (This question is just out of curiosity).

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Forget about the megapickles. The new Sony-made 16MP sensor in the E-PL5 is simply a better sensor than the Panasonic-made 12MP sensor in the E-PM1, and would still be a better sensor if they were both 12MP or if they were both 16MP. The megapickles don't have much to do with that - the E-PL5 is just better.

Would an APS-C sensor be better for cropping than 4/3? That all depends on where you're cropping. APS-C would be better if all your cropping is done from the two long ends. If you're cropping in all directions, then there will be virtually no difference between cropping the APS-C or 4/3 sensor. APS-C is a wider aspect ratio than 4/3. It's not much bigger overall, it's just wider. If you're shooting for print then you will be cropping a lot more off of the APS-C sensor in order to get it closer to a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio for standard print stock. So why not just start with 4/3?

That said, if you were for instance shooting from the hip and able to get the height right on everything but have trouble centering your subject left-to-right, then the wider APS-C sensor would allow you more room to crop and re-position your target in that left-to-right plane. If you just want to crop to the center, then don't bother with APS-C.

3. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I had the EPM1 and now the EPL5. Short answer, yes, I find there is more leeway to crop with the EPL5.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yes. I had an E-PM1 and I really liked it, but the E-PL5 just has better IQ. If cropping is the issue, the 12 to 16 is significant as well.

5. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    Alright, thank you all.