1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 to E-P3 upgrade...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by audiodrive, Jul 15, 2013.

1. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    With the current mark down price of the E-P3, will it be a worth upgrade from E-PM1?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    As far as I know the E-P3 and E-PM1 share the same sensor... if you just want to improve handling then it's probably a good move. But depending how much is the E-P3 that you're looking at, the E-PM2 ($399 or less) might a good upgrade if what you are after is a newer sensor with touch screen etc.

I have both the E-M5 and E-PM2 and I don't really find the lack of external controls on the E-PM2 bad at all... it's still very easy to reach all the important functions.:)

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    +1.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    +2. The updated sensor would trump handling for me.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really prefer the handling/controls on the E-P3. It's a great camera. I agree, the new sensor would be tempting, but the E-PL3 that I use alongside my E-P3 drives me crazy because of the control set-up. I love the convenience of the second wheel.

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have had the E-p1, 2 and now the 3. They are great little cameras, that I have become so familiar with that I am always ready for what is before me. But with aging eyesight, and the left becoming unusable, I am thinking of selling the E-p3 (only couple months old), to get something with VF. But I can recommend the E-p3 without hesitation, even after having used the later 16 MEG cameras, such as the G3, K01. Very pleased with files.
    Afterthought: With the E-p3 and G1 at hand, I actually find myself reaching for the G1 most often. It has VF and feels better in my hand, even though it is a bit bulkier. But with the Olympus 14-42 IIr on it, I find it a pleasure to use. I do wish for the later, less noisy sensors, and better VF. (Doesn't everyone?)

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have 2 E-P3s.. I really like the classic bodies..With that said, if I were going to get a replacement body, I would have to go with a gen5 body...

8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Why not just add a VF-2, VF-3 or VF-4 EVF? They work great and with the tilt feature are more handy than build-in EVFs. Currently, the VF-4 is better in image quality than any integrated EVF. If you shop around, the VF-2 is almost as good and can be had for as low as $150.

The touch screen of the E-P3 works really well and is a lot better than the one on my GX1. I must add I really like my E-P3 and prefer it over my GX1 due to handling, feel and EVF quality. Sure the 16MP sensor is a little better in terms of resolution. However, dynamic range and high ISO noise are basically the same. I rarely print larger than 11x14 so the difference in rez is no biggie. I might pick up an E-P5 in 18 months when the price drops to $300, but until then the features, feel and price of the E-P3 are hard to beat.

9. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Thanks to all who share their thoughts... while the recent EP3 price drop is tempting, I am going to stick with my EPM1 and wait for the price drops on EPM2 or EPL5.

Thanks again.

10. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi Steve, I do get better results using the Oly 14-42 on the G1. Ditto with the Lumix 14-42 on my EPL1.:smile:

11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    If the E-p3 doesn't sell, I plan to wrap it in fancy real leather, and grip it (home made, with integrated base plate). And add the VF 2 or 4. At that point it will have a "home".

We've been chasing the better and best primes for a long time (at least I have). Could not wait to discard the lowly "kit" lens. Kit lens must not be very good, because "real photographers" don't use them. Or do they? This little 14-42 IIr lens just sneaked up on me, and what a surprise! Yes, I still have prime lenses, and still like and use them. But the lowly "plastic" kit has wormed it's way back into my arsenal. Not just as an pinch hitter, but a very worthy tool.

12. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    It was indeed a surprise when I switched those lenses. They do deserve to be for keeps.:2thumbs: