E-PM1 to E-P3 upgrade...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by audiodrive, Jul 15, 2013.

1. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    With the current mark down price of the E-P3, will it be a worth upgrade from E-PM1?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    As far as I know the E-P3 and E-PM1 share the same sensor... if you just want to improve handling then it's probably a good move. But depending how much is the E-P3 that you're looking at, the E-PM2 ($399 or less) might a good upgrade if what you are after is a newer sensor with touch screen etc.

I have both the E-M5 and E-PM2 and I don't really find the lack of external controls on the E-PM2 bad at all... it's still very easy to reach all the important functions.:)

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    +1.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    +2. The updated sensor would trump handling for me.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really prefer the handling/controls on the E-P3. It's a great camera. I agree, the new sensor would be tempting, but the E-PL3 that I use alongside my E-P3 drives me crazy because of the control set-up. I love the convenience of the second wheel.

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have had the E-p1, 2 and now the 3. They are great little cameras, that I have become so familiar with that I am always ready for what is before me. But with aging eyesight, and the left becoming unusable, I am thinking of selling the E-p3 (only couple months old), to get something with VF. But I can recommend the E-p3 without hesitation, even after having used the later 16 MEG cameras, such as the G3, K01. Very pleased with files.
    Afterthought: With the E-p3 and G1 at hand, I actually find myself reaching for the G1 most often. It has VF and feels better in my hand, even though it is a bit bulkier. But with the Olympus 14-42 IIr on it, I find it a pleasure to use. I do wish for the later, less noisy sensors, and better VF. (Doesn't everyone?)

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have 2 E-P3s.. I really like the classic bodies..With that said, if I were going to get a replacement body, I would have to go with a gen5 body...

8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Why not just add a VF-2, VF-3 or VF-4 EVF? They work great and with the tilt feature are more handy than build-in EVFs. Currently, the VF-4 is better in image quality than any integrated EVF. If you shop around, the VF-2 is almost as good and can be had for as low as $150.

The touch screen of the E-P3 works really well and is a lot better than the one on my GX1. I must add I really like my E-P3 and prefer it over my GX1 due to handling, feel and EVF quality. Sure the 16MP sensor is a little better in terms of resolution. However, dynamic range and high ISO noise are basically the same. I rarely print larger than 11x14 so the difference in rez is no biggie. I might pick up an E-P5 in 18 months when the price drops to $300, but until then the features, feel and price of the E-P3 are hard to beat.

9. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Thanks to all who share their thoughts... while the recent EP3 price drop is tempting, I am going to stick with my EPM1 and wait for the price drops on EPM2 or EPL5.

Thanks again.

10. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi Steve, I do get better results using the Oly 14-42 on the G1. Ditto with the Lumix 14-42 on my EPL1.:smile:

11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    If the E-p3 doesn't sell, I plan to wrap it in fancy real leather, and grip it (home made, with integrated base plate). And add the VF 2 or 4. At that point it will have a "home".

We've been chasing the better and best primes for a long time (at least I have). Could not wait to discard the lowly "kit" lens. Kit lens must not be very good, because "real photographers" don't use them. Or do they? This little 14-42 IIr lens just sneaked up on me, and what a surprise! Yes, I still have prime lenses, and still like and use them. But the lowly "plastic" kit has wormed it's way back into my arsenal. Not just as an pinch hitter, but a very worthy tool.

12. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It was indeed a surprise when I switched those lenses. They do deserve to be for keeps.:2thumbs:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.