E-PM1 playback dial behavior--what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hyun, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    The default dial behavior in the playback mode is left and right to zoom in and out, and rotate to move to next/previous picture. While zoomed in, if you want to look at other areas of the image than the central zoomed in part, then you have to press the INFO button, then use the four-way button on the dial to move around.

This is changeable in the custom menu B, under Dial Function, then choosing "enlarge a picture with dial". To me, this seems like a no-brainer option--this way, you can use the left/right button to navigate the images, then use the dial to zoom in/out, and while you're zoomed in, you can move the screen around using the direction buttons built into the dial, without having to press the INFO button first.

And since this seems like such a no-brainer option, but isn't set as default, I'm thinking that I've got to be missing something obvious. :smile: Any help?
    • Like Like x 5
  2. BrotherBlah

BrotherBlah New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2012

No help here, but some praise :biggrin:

Wow! I like this system much better.. dial to zoom, "ok" button to leave zoom mode. Very intuitive :2thumbs:

Thank You,
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm not entirely sure I'm following you, but this much I do know -- the EPM1 is a power house little camera that ships with completely the wrong defaults (e.g. super control panel is set to off, "keep warm colors" is set to on as default???)

So, it wouldn't surprise me here if the default was incoherent, but at least Oly lets you change it!
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the default setup is completely different from the old fashioned setup but this puts it back to the way we're used to. :)
  5. jaygee

jaygee Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2011
    Brighton, Ontario
    You're not missing anything - you have it exactly right! It is the first thing I changed when I got my E-PM1. The default setting is awkward and only the designers at Olympus know why it is set as the default :)
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Some of the really stupid defaults off the top of my head...

Super Control Panel off and Live Control on (I don't care about Live Guide, as it's only active with iAuto which I would never use anyways).

Control Dial locked.

Keep Warm Colors on.

Sprocket Menu hidden.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Cannot believe I did not change that setting earlier. This is a million times better for Playback/review.
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just tried out what you were saying. I guess I had changed it off the default, too, because for me, left/right switches between picks, and rotating the dial zooms in/out.

Just for kicks, though, I pressed info while zoomed in, and now you can navigate to the next pic, while staying zoomed in. This is a nice trick if you are check critical focus amongst a series of similar shots. Thanks!
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It took me a while to figure out how to do this on my E-P1 and E-PL1, but the procedure is similar and still a bit awkward and not very intuitive. It is easier to do on a Panasonic with a click-wheel, but I still find that Canon DSLR are the best example of how this feature should be implemented.