1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 or Sony RX100?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by elandel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,
    I need your help. Have to buy one of these. Which one? I already have m4/3 cameras and 4/3 E-30 with a bunch of lenses - m4/3 and 4/3. Sold my Nikon P7100 and want a substitute with better image quality, small, like a high end compact. I was leaning towards the Oly because already have lenses and the price is a bargain. Thought the IQ was better better than Sony's RX100 but seeing Snapsort's comparison I had some doubt.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Current RX100 owner, and I've used an E-PM1 with the 20/1.7, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8. Those camera+lens combos are better than the RX100 imo at or near those focal lengths.

But the RX100 is more versatile and compact.

I have an E-M5 as my primary camera, and every so often I consider picking up an E-PM2. But when I think about it I know I will prefer the RX100 when I need something more compact, and I will prefer the E-M5 when I don't. So my recommendation is for the RX100.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That was also my thoughts but then I say to myself that I already have the lenses I nedd and the RX100 is not cheap here. Decisions - decisions...

4. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I have E-P5 and E-PM2 as well as RX-100. Never really used RX-100 and gave it to my son.

IMHO E-PM2 with Oly 17, 45mm lenses is just so much better to use and give more keepers. Don't know really why, but that's how it is/was.

RX-100 is more compact than E-PM2, that's true. And well built. Basically it is very decent tool for photography, just not for me. Now when thinking, maybe the control wheel and overall setup of buttons and control just did not feel right.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm afraid it may be the same for me....

6. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    Have you thought about the Ricoh GR? I got one and after shooting with it for a day I sold my sony rx100. :)

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I just don't bond with Ricoh GR.

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    All things equal: bigger sensor = better images. if IQ is your main concern.
    Theres a lot other details involved if IQ is not the main concern.

Yet theres one that "defies" the above. the Ricoh GR. great handling operation outstanding IQ but is not a zoom camera like the RX100.

In the end. just get whatever makes you feel comfortable. overall all cameras now in the market can do much more than our skills. so you cant go wrong.

9. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

A better question is: RX100 or E-PM2

The RX100 is an amazing camera capable of creating great image files. And sizewise, it's eminently pocketable.

But a more apt question I think for you is not whether you should consider the E-PM1 - but its successor, the E-PM2. The E-PM2 has a remarkably great sensor - the same as in the OM-D M5 - for an interchangeable lens camera it's quite tiny - though still, with lenses, it may may marginally larger and less pocketable than the RX100 -

And like the RX100, its new sensor gives it the capability of creating some jaw-dropping images, in terms of IQ, dynamic range, etc etc.

Both are fine cameras. Both have menu systems which are either powerful or irritating, depending on your persepective. But if you're leaning towards the Olympus, the PM2 - and not the PM1 - is the one to think about.

Good luck.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

My first thought was the e-pm2 but its still too expensive.

11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Apples and Oranges.

Do you want a power zoom? Does a compact zoom matter to you? Does absolute size matter to you?

If you answer yes to any one of those, then get the RX100.

Do you plan on printing pictures bigger the 8x10 or simply digital storage and the odd 4x6??..

If you plan on only keeping digital records and printing the odd 4x6.. then get the RX100..

If Image Quality is your main concern and you're willing to spend on above kit type glass like a 20mm and 45mm or 12-35 etc then of course get the EPM1.

But if you intend on just keep the 17 2.8 or 14-42 lens with the EPM1.. then I'd say get the RX100.

The EPM1 will produce better images with more dynamic range but really if you are even considering the RX100 then don't worry about the full dynamic range of the EPM1 and don't worry about the pixel peeping slightly muddle shadows and a few blown highlights...

:drinks:

12. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

E-PM2 pricing

Actually, in the last few months, I've seen examples of E-PM2's and its slightly larger sibling, the E-PL5, lightly used, for sale at quite reasonable prices.

I think if you want an E-PM2 and are a little patient, you will find one for the right price.

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I own the E-PL5 but planning to trade it for the M1 when the price drops so thais is why I want something smaller to carry around but with great IQ. The E-MP series are the one to go for I think.

14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Have you looked at eBay recently?

New e-pm2 with 14-42 kits are selling for almost $100 less than new RX100 cameras.

15. fiki2304

fiki2304 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    First I bought e-pm2 and after using it for one year I bought E-p3 as second body. I was curious about image quality and how better e-pm2 is, but I must say that difference is really really small(I can't tell the difference) . Reading all those forum posts I came to conclusions that old 12mp sensor isn't good. I was wrong. So I would say go for e-pm1 because you can find it for free almost :)
    I am glad that I didn't buy E-p5. E-p3 is more that good enough image quality vise and I don't need 5axis ibis and focus p. for now.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    In good light I agree with you. In low light I don't know.

17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    This is really the crux of the discussion. RX100 is the choice if the above are your priorities. If not, than an E-PM1 (or better still, 2) with a prime lens or three is the way to go.

The question then goes to whether or not the RX100 produces IQ that is "good enough" to satisfy the OP. Hard to say. It is better than the Nikon P&S he was using, and imo at least as good as 12MP m4/3s sensor + kit lens.

18. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I haven't read the other posts but already know what my answer is (I was asked this questions by others already) - the most sensible high quality camera to buy is probably the Lumix LX7.

It's frequently sold for less than 300$, has a more useful focal range than the RX100 (the LX7 starts at 24mm, the RX100 at 28mm) and the image quality is quite good. The external controls are great on the LX7 as well.

Don't forget that since the LX7 has a much brighter lens than the RX100 as you zoom in, then for a given scene you'll be able to use roughly 2 stops less in ISO gain.

For example for a given shutter speed, the LX7 can stay at ISO 400 whereas the RX100 will need ISO 1600 for the same exposure.
    The RX100 will not favor much (if at all) at such a comparison.

The only real thing going for the RX100 is size. It's more pocketable.

But I don't think it's worth twice the price.

Going the E-PM1 route (or anything similar) will never lead you to anything as pocketable. And, even if you use the 14-42 PZ on the EPM1 you'll be using a slow lens on a relatively old sensored camera which won't favor well against the LX7. And you'll start at 28mm, not 24mm and have worse AF, and worse external controls.

Just my 0.02...

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If compactness is a high priority, RX100 is no doubt a clear and easy choice.

PS> What sets the RX100 apart from the rest is the sensor not the lens. From my research, the RX100 is a better choice for a high end compact than the LX7 but it comes with a price. But yes.. I'm sure the LX7 is nice having shot with the LX3 and LX5 myself.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Tough choice, really very tough