1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 or G3. Which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Anthon, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Currently I own a E-PM1 with 14-42 R and P14 f2.5 and I'm thinking to sell the camera with the P14 f2.5 to buy a G3 body and use it with the 14-42 R until the new panasonic 14-42 arrives

I want better noise control at night and the EVF and tilting screen

I like the JPEG quality from the E-PM1, I know that there are a big difference between oly's and pany's JPEG, that's the thing which makes me dude

Do you think it is worth? Maybe I whould wait for the E-P5? I like the OM-D but it's too expensive for my

Sorry for my english and thanks

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Well, there you are.

Maybe selling the 14mm isn't such a good idea.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Try an EPL3? Gives a tilting screen, though not better ISO.

The G3 has very slightly better high ISO. It's not a giant step-up though. What about an EPM2 -- maybe look for used or refurb?

I didn't like the G3. Might want to check some reviews. It has quirks. I believe I remember, for instance, that the LCD doesn't shut off when you use the EVF, which I found distracting. I don't remember liking the controls much. It feels cheap. It does have a smaller AF box, though, than the EPM1, but not the EPM2.

4. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I have both, and find that they complement each other very well. The E-PM1 is more discreet, and truly pocketable, as well as ultra-quick, with the body cap 15mm lens; the G3 has all the advantages of a viewfinder while remaining pretty compact - it's really not that much bigger than my old GF1. I only ever shoot RAW so any differences in jpeg quality pass me by, really.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I had both and, really, you're comparing apples and oranges - at least within the world of micro four thirds. First: noise control at night will be slightly, but noticeably, better with the G3. Plus you would have a built-in viewfinder. The E-PM1, as you already know, offers smaller size and perhaps more pleasant jpg rendering.

By the way, if you keep the E-PM1, or go for any of the smaller Olympus Pens, keep the 14mm pancake lens. It's like they were made for each other. But if you also want a tilting screen, then perhaps you would prefer the E-PL3 or even an E-PL5 if you can afford it. The E-PL5, with its newer Sony sensor, will really give you the better low-night image quality you want and the tilting screen in one package.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agree with Biro. I've moved to an EPL5 + VF2, which gives me the EVF when needed, but a great, lightweight, portable, tilt-screen shooter with better IQ than either the G3 or the EPM1. Of course, it's currently much more expensive.

7. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    G3 or Oly

Anthon, if you want to use the viewfinder most of the time the G3 is the way to go as it is built in. Plus it has Superb Image quality, much nicer than my pervious G1 and G2 cameras.

I personally like it built in, but I am old school, you then do not have an add on VF, waiting to fall off or get knocked off, Plus you save the expense of same, and save the fidget factor, of putting it off and on.

Taking pricing and budget into the mix, which most of us do, the Panasonic G3 is superb with the 16mp sensor and low cost right now.

The Epl5 looks great but buying it new and then adding in the VF2 even used you have approx 770 USD wrapped up into the set, whereas the G3 body w/VF built in is now only 250USD.

In reality, you will not see a major difference in image quality between G3 and the Epl5, albeit, the Epl5 will edge it out somewhat, but also you can custom tweak the G3 to give you great Jpegs.

For me, YMMV, the built in VF of the G3 and superb image quality and finally the much lower cost wins out, and with the savings you can purchase one of the superb m43 lenses like the P-20mm .

And as a final note, I am still amazed and surprised that neither Panasonic or Olympus has not brought out a GX1. or Ep3 body type with Built in VF. Sony has it in the Nex 6 with larger sensor and small body., Fuji is doing it, surly P and O should do the same, who are there designers listening to?, certainly not us here at mu43, and how many of us have complained about this and would like to see it come into reality. Anyway........

Happy hunting in your Quest Anthon
    Dennis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I have owned both, I would go with the G3 for the better image quality, swivel screen, and built-in viewfinder. JPGs can be tweaked (I always shot RAW anyways). For what it's going for right now, it's the best bang-for-the-buck in m4/3rds. Heck, I just sold one not too long ago to a member here for a mere $200.

9. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Hi, thanks for your opinion.

I like the E-PL5 but only the VF-2 will cost to me almost the same as the G3 Body, it's much money and my idea is to have a complete camera until I can afford the OM-D, (or the E-P5 if he comes with EVF built in) I can't spend a lot of money now

Hi, I agree with you in most things.

I prefer to have a built-in EVF instead a add-on one (I tend to lose things all day :biggrin:)

I hope the E-P5 will be the first PEN camera with built-in EVF, if not, then we still have the OM-D, and until it's price drops, I think it's better to wait with a G3 instead a E-PM1.

The only thing that makes me doubt is the menu and usability, the olympus menus are so customizable and well made, and I don't know if Panasonic ones are the same (I had a GF3 for two days but I didn't use it a lot)

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    You have the Q-Menu, which is customizable. You can change what order different options show up in what order, and what is on the menu. The G3 only has one other function button, if you leave Fn2 at the Q-menu.

11. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I had both at the same time, and found the G3 more usable when I didn't need the absolute small size of the PM1. The focus speed seems faster (if that is possible!) the body style and physical controls were faster to learn than the more spartan PM1, and the EVF and flip screen were useful bonuses. The Panasonic interface software has its own character and seems equal in usability to the Olympus. High ISO performance also seemed better than the PM1, but not as good as the current Olympus bodies, while the lack of IBIS and less dynamic range were the most noticable weaknesses. If I had to choose between one of these, I'd easily pick the G3 - but I'd occasionally grumble about the size!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    E-PM1 + 14mm/2.5 or G3 + 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6? The E-PM1+14mm/2.5 without a question! If you want a new body, wait until you have all the lenses you want. Never sell good lenses for a body!

PS, don't forget that you will never be able to carry your G3 combo in as tight a space as the Mini + Panacake combo.

13. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    I wouldn't sell the epm1 and the 14mm to purchase the G3. You should be able to sell the epm1 for $100 - $150 and purchase a G3 for $200 used. The lens alone is worth $100 - $150. You would have the G3 and both lenses.

I have had the GF3 (similar in IQ, size and handling to the epm1) and the G3 for nearly a year. I almost always used the G3. I am in the process of selling my GF3 since I picked up a new GX1 for $319.

BTW, I originally chose the GF3 over the epm1 because I was able to buy it with the 14mm and 14-42 lenses for the same price as the epm1 with its 14-42.

14. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    The reason for selling the P14 is...that I hardly use it... It's similar in size and IQ than the 14-42 II (for me) so I prefer the versability of the zoom

G3 is not much bigger than the E-PM1. I use a Lowepro Streamline 100 and I think it will be valid for the G3 too

Maybe I should try a G3 before doing anything :sly:

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had both. I'm currently using a G3 until I see what else comes down the M43 pipeline. Both have their pros and cons. I'd just keep your E-PM1 until you can afford something you really like.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah yes, the Streamline 100... Good bag. I'm using something very similar (I prefer to buy from smaller manufacturers for extra "character") to hold a Mini and a couple lenses, but my lenses are much bigger than yours. With the type of lenses you're using you should be able to fit a G3 no problem.

Have you considered adding a 45mm/1.8 with your 14/2.5 to replace your zoom? A single prime on its own is certainly not as versatile, as they are meant to be used in groups or pairs (hence the interchangeable mount).

17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Despite it's DSLR looking shape the G3 is actually very small. I'm not a huge fan of the G3(it's too small for me and no eye sensor), but you really can't beat it for the features in such a compact size. A pen with an EVF attached will end up taking up just as much, if not more space to be honest.

G2, G3, GF2
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/7634139666/" title="Lumix G2, G3, GF2 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 7634139666_3bba3fedd0_c. "800" height="534" alt="Lumix G2, G3, GF2"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Yesterday I tested the G3 in a shop and it didn't convince me at all (maybe because I'm used to Olympus?)

I think I'll wait for the E-P5 and keep the P14 f2.5 for now