1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 or E-PL3 (as second body)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by xdayv, Oct 12, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    without considering the budget as a factor...

i'm considering either of the body as a 2nd body to my G3. i'm leaning towards the E-PM1, am i missing much if i go for this instead of the E-PL3?

(not using much the GF1, have been spoiled by the better high ISO performance of the G3, but will be keeping the GF1 for a little while)

cheers!

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    For me, I am deciding on a second body to my E-P3, and the PL3 currently has the upperhand because of the tilt screen, since there isn't one on the E-P3. I find virtually no difference in size between the 2. (I know you mentioned price not a consideration, but my decision is also heavily swayed by price, because here in Hong Kong, Olympus has priced the 2 models only roughly US$64 apart.)

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    that's a nice input... on my end, the tilt screen not playing much a factor since i already have it on the G3.

what sways me to use the oly instead of another panny body is the IBIS. :biggrin:

4. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    If budget is not a factor, there really isn't a reason to get the EPM1 over the EPL3.

• Like Like x 1
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If I already had a G3, I think I would lean towards the E-PM1 as a backup. It is the smallest PEN, noticeably thinner than the E-PL3, and is significantly less expensive in my market. It would be nice to have a "super compact" that uses the same lenses for those times where the G3 seems too big. The E-PM1 will be freakishly small with the 14mm mounted. :biggrin:

6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have a G3 and an E-PL3 and the 2 work very well together, the E-PL3 is a great camera and worth the extra money over the E-PM1 in my view, the tilt screen really is nice and in some ways I prefer it to the swivel screen on the G3. The E-PL3 has more external controls than the E-PM1 too.

Paul

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd say that if the tilt screen isn't an issue for you, there's only one other thing you have to satisfy yourself about - are you comfortable with the working of the controls on the EPM1? The EPL3 has almost the same controls as the EP3, except it lacks the second rotary control (the thumb wheel) and it lacks a second fn button. I don't find that a disadvantage at all. The EPM1, OTOH, has significantly fewer external controls - no mode dial and fewer butons. Those who have used it says it works quite well and isn't really an impediment to making changes on the fly. I don't have any reason to doubt them, but I'd still want to see for myself before I bought one. Lots of people found the all-button interface on the EPL1 very workable and well designed too - I personally hated it with something approaching a passion, even after months of use. ESPECIALLY after months of use.

So you really have to satisfy yourself on that. Find a store with both, play with each for a few minutes and see what you think. I have the EPL3, but its not a second body - its my only m43 camera - and the tilt screen was absolutely critical to me. If not for the tilt screen I'd have stayed with the EP3 instead.

-Ray

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    definitely what i'm thinking about ^^ that makes the E-PM1 a strong option for me.

Paul and Ray, "more external controls" -- yes this is the one factor that keeps me considering the E-PL3.

:biggrin:

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Why not another G3? Then you have identical controls, accessories interchange, etc. Unless I needed some special capability in a second body, I have always had matching ones.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    very good suggestion indeed. and in fact have considered it. i used to carry identical nikon bodies too, it's heaven sent when you constantly swap bodies and the controls are identical.

special capability? IBIS.

:biggrin:

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Ah! I have thought about trying that too, but lost interest after considering the aggravation of using a totally different controls interface and either not having an EVF or having to buy one that scabs on.

12. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Hello Folks, I just registered here because having read thorugh the contents over the last days this seems to be a very informative forum.
    Especially this thread, since I want to decide on a second, smaller(!) body to my E-P1. PM1 or PL3 are intended as an lightweight carry-around-all-the-time with the 17mm Pancake. As lightweight and small as possible, in fact with a rather large sensor.

The most improtant features on any body are the accessabiltiy of ISO and +/- Exp.Comp. Thats why I still stick with my P1, it delivers this. I am petty much sorted in the way I shoot.
    No movies (the button would become AEL),
    always continuos shooting,
    program shift is my main mode (outside tripod work, but the PM1 wouldnt see atripod anyway),
    rarely venture from LF into something other.

With the PM1 I read that I can add both to the an arrow (right and down) of the scroll wheel (and als access in the SCP, like with my E-420).

As for the PL3, dpreview.com in his review
    Olympus E-PL3 Review: 7. Menus: Digital Photography Review
    does not add the ISO-function in its list of menue-options for buttons or arrows at all. Only the +/- can be customized.

This seems od and I am not sure if I read it right.
    Maybe someone can clarify this for me? Thank you!
    The difference in price or the tilting screen are not as important for me as the accessability of these functions, just my way of handling a camera.

13. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You can add iso to the 4-way controller on the epl3, but you can't add it to the function button. I replaced the flash button with iso because I almost never use flash.

-Ray

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have to agree with Ray. I personally decided on the E-PM1 and don't have a problem with the control layout. But you have to make sure it's okay for you. The tilting LCD of the E-PL3 doesn't phase me one way or the other (but, then again, I have the G3 with articulating screen and external controls on the way). For me, as a second body, it's the E-PM1. But if it was to be my only micro four-thirds body, then I'd go for the E-PL3.

As far as size concerned, the E-PM1 and E-PL3 are virtually identical. Any pocket, bag or pouch that can handle one can handle the other. Note: With the Lumix 14mm f/2.5 pancake attached... my E-PM1 is exactly the same size as my Panasonic LX3. I may never pick up the LX3 again.

15. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Thank you!
    Its strange that the E-PL3 has two more buttons in a prominent location, but doesnt allow real customization for them.
    So the 15% difference in price will be saved for the future purchase of a fine lens.

16. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Unfortunately, your "second" camera will be better than your first. You might find yourself not using the E-P1 anymore!

17. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    I know:frown:
    The E-P1 will be transferred to make product pictures for my website. The 14-42 is more than adequate for this and any Pen works great on a tripod.
    But the upper scroll-wheel is soo hard to beat for my kind of shooting. It will be difficult to choose.

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It allows very real customization. You can customize the fn button, the video button, and the two buttons on the 4-way controller. Even the dial (although with only one dial, I don't quite see the point of that one, but if you want it....). It has the same customization options as the EP3, just one less fn button to customize. To me, the drag is that you have such a limited menu of things you can assign to the Fn button - that would be the obvious location for ISO to me, particularly on the EP3 where you have a little Fn button right next to the shutter release.

That said, for every limit that doesn't quite make sense to me, there's always a way to do damn near ANYthing on one of the Olys, so it evens out. Hugely customizable, but there are rules about where certain things can go...

-Ray

19. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Thats what I meant with "no real customization". Why limit it so harshly? I dont think it was a matter of cost, maybe some rather strange thinking?:wink:

20. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    interesting. :biggrin: