E-PM1 not recognising lenses

CiaranMc

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi,

I've been lurking for a few months but am having an issue with my camera, so thought I'd register and join in!

I've had an E-PM1 for a few months and am having a great time with it, but it's developed a fault and won't recognise any lenses.

* Turning the body on without a lens attached shows a blurred view on the display, as expected.

* If I depress the lens release button, or the tiny pin on the bevel, the display blanks, as expected (it's waiting for the lens to engage).

* If I attach a lens and rotate it until it 'clicks' and engages, the display remains blank.

* The lens aperture isn't displayed, but light appears to be getting through to the sensor because the shutter speed goes up and down as I point it to light and dark areas.

It did this once a month or so ago, but mysteriously got better the next day.

I should probably mention that it happens with more than one lens, that I've reset all settings and done a firmware update.

I'm fairly resigned to ringing up Olympus at this rate, but I'm hoping someone on this forum will pipe up with some sort of miracle cure!

Cheers.

uci2ci

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sam
Try cleaning the camera/lens contacts with an eraser head or alcohol and q-tip. If you have lens paper, use that instead of q-tips so you dont get lint in the chamber

Hi,

I've been lurking for a few months but am having an issue with my camera, so thought I'd register and join in!

I've had an E-PM1 for a few months and am having a great time with it, but it's developed a fault and won't recognise any lenses.

* Turning the body on without a lens attached shows a blurred view on the display, as expected.

* If I depress the lens release button, or the tiny pin on the bevel, the display blanks, as expected (it's waiting for the lens to engage).

* If I attach a lens and rotate it until it 'clicks' and engages, the display remains blank.

* The lens aperture isn't displayed, but light appears to be getting through to the sensor because the shutter speed goes up and down as I point it to light and dark areas.

It did this once a month or so ago, but mysteriously got better the next day.

I should probably mention that it happens with more than one lens, that I've reset all settings and done a firmware update.

I'm fairly resigned to ringing up Olympus at this rate, but I'm hoping someone on this forum will pipe up with some sort of miracle cure!

Cheers.

pharaviel

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniele Frizzi
Are you mounting the lens with the camera on? I believe it's not good for the camera or the lens contacts.

A screenshot of the user manual in the changing lens section. Watch the cautions:

image-3266312485.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick
pharaviel said:
Are you mounting the lens with the camera on? I believe it's not good for the camera or the lens contacts.

A screenshot of the user manual in the changing lens section. Watch the cautions:

x2. I was just gonna say, the sensor becomes a dust magnet with current running through it, so changing lens with the camera on is a BIG "No! No!" Otherwise, as others have suggested, try cleaning the lens and camera contacts.

CiaranMc

Mu-43 Rookie
I only tried it with the camera on when trying to diagnose at which stage the lens was failing to be recognised, in normal use I've been turning it off each time.

I've checked that all the contacts are depressing and springing back individually, I didn't think to clean them with alcohol as they can't have got that dirty in the 2 months since I got the camera, but I'll give that a go if it'll save a warranty repair!

Thanks guys.

CiaranMc

Mu-43 Rookie
So I ran a cotton bud (q tip) with a tiny drop of white spirit on it across the contacts a few times, then dried the excess with another clean bud.

And... it worked! The lens is recognised first time!

I've got a lingering worry about why the contacts got dirty in the first place - I don't remember ever having touched them so I guess I need to keep an eye on my behaviour.

Thanks everyone.

CiaranMc

Mu-43 Rookie
pharaviel said:
I'm glad everything worked without sending the camera to the camera doctors :)

Looks like I spoke too soon :-(

Half an hour after cleaning the contacts the problem came back, I an only assume cleaning them jolted some loose contact back into position temporarily.

I'll call the camera doctors tomorrow.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
So I ran a cotton bud (q tip) with a tiny drop of white spirit on it across the contacts a few times, then dried the excess with another clean bud.

And... it worked! The lens is recognised first time!

I've got a lingering worry about why the contacts got dirty in the first place - I don't remember ever having touched them so I guess I need to keep an eye on my behaviour.

Thanks everyone.

This can happen with any electrical contacts. I've seen it a fair amount with add-in cards in computers (worked in IT for many years). I wouldn't worry unless cleaning the contacts no longer solves the issue. :smile:

CiaranMc

Mu-43 Rookie
This can happen with any electrical contacts. I've seen it a fair amount with add-in cards in computers (worked in IT for many years). I wouldn't worry unless cleaning the contacts no longer solves the issue. :smile:

It solved it... for 30 mins. I'm starting to think the excess white spirit might have bridged a faulty contact temporarily before it evaporated.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
It solved it... for 30 mins. I'm starting to think the excess white spirit might have bridged a faulty contact temporarily before it evaporated.

Try a clean pencil eraser on both camera and lens contacts being very careful not to get eraser crumbs inside the camera or on your lens.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, it's very likely your camera needs service.

Good luck and keep us posted. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom