E-PM1 listed at UniquePhoto - $499 with kit lens!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pxpaulx, Aug 20, 2011.

1. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Here is the link:

Unique Photo - Search Results for olympus e-pm1

That price sealed it for me (assuming it sticks!); E-pm1 for sheer compact size and the G3 for a viewfinder, articulating screen and customizable layout. It says out of stock currently, but I think this is the first price listing. I'm extremely surprised it isn't MSRP at $599!

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm, I wonder if I should get this or their $399.00 E-PL2 deal?

3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    This has a better lens and faster AF. It sucks for handling, but I think it will "outlive" the E-PL2. If your next camera is an SLR-style, this can complement it.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I already have a G3, I was thinking of giving the wife the GF2 and get the E-PM1 as my small IBIS camera!

5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Versus keeping the GF2 and getting the EPL-2 for your wife?

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Nice find. I too was thinking $599. Seems like a great deal, but the UI would have to be very good to makeup for the lack of physical controls. It sounds like they are trying for something similar to the NEX user interface to bring the P&S crowd in...

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Having just gotten an EPL3, I'd caution anybody to really spend some time with camera in hand before buying either an EPL3 or EPM1 as a primary camera. As a second camera, sure, but these are SMALL cameras and the size has very real handling implications, particularly if you ever want to use anything larger than a kit lens. I'm not saying don't do it, but check it out before you do. For some people, it will be a very real issue.

-Ray

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I saw him confirm this somewhere earlier today. He urged patience, but he's working on it. If ever a camera was almost designed in concert with his business plan, this must have been it. And I believe the EPM1 will be another.

-Ray

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ray, looking forward to your first impressions of the E-PL3!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Mu-43 App

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you don't mind not having a touch screen, the E-PL3 owners *might* be in better shape than the E-P3 owners...