E-PM1 Image stabilizer failure

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Vivalo, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I received used but almost new E-PM1 yesterday, 22 months out of 24 months european warranty still left. I like the form factor and the familiar menu system but to my surprise there is a IS related problem. When I power up the camera it makes a shutter release and makes a weird buzzing sound. After start-up the IS logo just blinks at the upper right corner of the screen. I believe that it indicates the IS is not working properly. I have contacted Olympus service but I haven't received any answer yet. I can still shoot normally but I quess I have to send this little beauty to the warranty service soon. I made a boring YouTube video to demonstrate the problem. This is just for those who might have same kind of issues with their Olympus camera. I will report back how this ends up.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The only thing I can think of is movie mode, I think by default IS is disabled in movies?

Have you tried looking in the hidden service menu for error codes? If the IS is having problems it should show a 8807 code for generic IS error (IS out of range, meaning it doesn't move to what the camera wants it to).

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    No it's not the movie mode, in the video I have set the E-PM1 to P mode. Anyway, thanks eteless for reminding me about the service menu. Shutter count is still very low: 366, start-up cycles only 138! So it is almost brand new camera. The menu states a fault code: 823C. That slot is supposed to be empty if there is nothing wrong with the camera. Does anyone know what that code means?

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Yeah, I wasn't sure on movie mode because it had the number of minutes in the bottom right displayed, just thought I should mention it.

Pretty low shutter count, no idea on that though code sorry.

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    My E-PM1 just arrived from the service. Now the IS seems to function normally BUT it still does that shutter release on start-up. Is this normal on E-PM1? I haven't seen this happening on E-P1, E-P3 or E-M5. The shutter release on start-up is visible also on the video I posted above. It is still the same, but now the IS isn't blinking red on the screen anymore.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes, the EPM1 fires the shutter when it powers up. Perhaps some of the other PEN's relased around that time frame (Fall 2011) like the EPL2 or EP2 did the same thing.I don't know about those.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Many many thanks for this information, HarryS. Now I can go out and shoot knowing my E-PM1 is "normal".