1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 IBIS revisited

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Art, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's been a year since I disabled IBIS on my E-PM1 cause it is useless and more likely to cause blur than when it's off.
    Couple of days ago I decided to give it another try but this time with Anti-shock set to 1/8s. What a difference it makes! Used with Oly 45mm at 1/20s IBIS on, anti-shock 1/8s; 7 out of 10 images are tack sharp. with IBIS off, 0 out of 10 images are sharp at pixel level. With anti-shock off, IBIS on, none of the images are sharp and some are much worse than with IBIS on.
    I will continue to test it with other lenses as well but based on these preliminary results I believe that the tiny E-PM1 body doesn't handle shutter vibrations too well causing IBIS to overcompensate in most scenarios.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Sorry to sound ignorant but what is anti-shock?

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Anti-shock is used to delay firing the shutter after the shutter button has been pressed. This allows any vibration to dissipate before the exposure is made. Anti-shock allows intervals of up to 30 seconds to be preset.

Can be via Menu "E"

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    By the way, have you updated your firmware any since you got the camera? I've had a few Minis and one of them had the IBIS issue, which strangely went away when I did a firmware update. Not saying that's going to fix your problem, but it may be worth a try if it hasn't been done yet.

@Photodan1: Anti-shock is the word Olympus uses to describe the function most others call "Mirror Lockup". Or at least, a very similar function to Mirror Lockup (this function may vary a little depending on manufacturer)...

5. It is leftover from the Four Thirds DSLRs, but now works a bit differently. It is a form of shutter release delay, but it specifies the delay between closing the shutter and opening it again to expose the image. On the older Oly DSLRs it was used to delay the shutter opening from the mirror being raised. It also eliminates the motion caused by pressing the shutter button too hard.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, I have the latest firmware. It had no effect on IBIS.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Well I'll be darned! I just tried this and it sure helps! Taking pictures at 1/10 second with the Panny 20mm I got 5/6 sharp pictures, which is waaaaaaaaay better than I was getting before.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  8. goodsonr

goodsonr Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    Another ... well I'll be darned.

I bought a legacy 85mm lens and I've been having a hard time getting sharp pictures at even 1/50th (this on an EPL-1 where IBIS has been fine for me).

Just tried this and pulled off a nice sharp image at 1/5 .. wow * 2 (not consistently ... I wish ...)

thanks many times over.

ron

• Like Like x 1
  9. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I had not noticed this before or didn't realize what it was. It does seem to help but it would be better if you didn't have to delay the shutter. Learn something every day!

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hmm, yep this is working.

Good find.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    :thumbup: Thanks Art, will give this a go when I get my EPM1 back.

12. pyr2

pyr2 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2013
    I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread... Thanks for the finding. I will definitely give it a try on my PM1. May be they should mention this in the manual!

I knew what the Anit-Shock is, but was always hesitant to enable it since I think it would you are increasing the shutter lag (right?). May be 1/8 sec makes not much of a difference in the lag.

• Like Like x 1