E-PM1 IBIS for video and still

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hyun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Hello everyone,

My first post here. I got my E-PM1 yesterday and am eager to see what I can do with it. I've been shooting Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and this is my first interchangeable lens system camera.

Is it possible to set separate IS settings for video and still modes on the E-PM1? Ideally I would like to have IBIS on for the stills and off for the video. I've searched the forums and also googled it, but have not been able to find a definitive answer. The camera menu seems to indicate this is not possible, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything buried in the 10 pages of settings. :)

Thanks very much in advance.

Hyun.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    IBIS is disabled for video. You can't use it for video. That's one of the disadvantages. It uses 'digital image stabilization' in video, which is simply another way of saying it'll automatically bump the ISO up when speeds get too low.

DH

3. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    That's not what it does. It uses a built in "deshaking" algorithm on the file. But, it looks like crap. Turn off IS for video, and use a good tripod or something. If nothing else, use Deshaker (plug-in for Virtual Dub) in post to clean up the shake, it does a much better job.

4. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Thanks for the clarification and explanation. So, is it possible to turn off the IS for video, and at the same time have it enabled for still shots, so that I don't have to fiddle with the IS settings every time I switch between video and stills?

5. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    IBIS doesn't work for videos nor does it work well with stills.

Tsk tsk

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    IBIS is a term we all made up. Oly calls it IS, and it's either on or off. If it's on, then it uses sensor-based IS for stills AND software-based IS for video.

If you shut IS OFF, then it uses neither.

In the EPM1, OFF is better, unless you are shooting stills at really slow shutter speeds.

I am not aware of any way to set up the camera so that you can have IS off for video, but on for stills. Ned might know, though. He's a wizard at that kind of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Oxymoron!

OK that statement there confuses the heck out me. A DSLR, like that of Canon or Nikon has made is an interchangeable lens system camera. So if you owned and been shooting a Canon or Nikon DSLR, then this is not your first interchangeable lens system camera, like you say.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I was wishing I could do exactly this lately after discovering turning IS off will pretty much get rid of the 'jello' in shooting video. Oh how I was happy when I realised this.

Pretty much came to the conclusion that is wasn't possible, off is off, on is on...for everything.

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Interesting. So they're now using 'digital image stabilization' to mean something completely different from what they used it mean with DSLRs. Wonderful. :confused:

DH

10. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    That's just with video!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say, "mirrorless interchangeable lens system camera." :)

12. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Thank you WT, I was afraid that might be the case. Ah well!

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Right, but on some of their DSLRs (E-410, E-420 and E-450), they also had 'digital image stabilization', which in that context meant automatically raising the ISO.

It's just annoying that they decided to reuse exactly the same term for something entirely different in video.

DH

14. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Isn't it great how marketing likes to change terms on you.

*hides as he realizes he works in a marketing department*

• Like Like x 1
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK here is the generic terms everyone uses.
    There are two ways for a camera manufacturer to provide image stabilization.
    One is, in body with sensor shift, that's what Olympus does. In generic terms the acronym is IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization).
    The second way is Optically using moving elements in the lens, like Panasonic does. In generic terms the acronym is OIS (Optical Image Stabilization).
    The first way provides stabilization for any lens attached to it , including Legacy glass. The second is only with lenses made with stabilization. and those are usually more expensive lenses too.

16. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    The third way is through software, which is what Oly does for video on everything (except maybe the E-M5, don't know on that one).

17. schawo

schawo New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    And can you use the OIS of Panasonic lens on Olympus bodies for video?

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes you can. Just make sure that the Olympus sensor shift Stabilization is turned off in the menu so there is no chance of a conflict.