1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 goes black after shot then turns itself off.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ned, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One of my E-PM1s has developed a very bad problem out of thin air. Took it out of the studio for a shoot and when I took a shot the screen would go completely blank and would not return to operating mode. If Rec Mode is on then it will show the playback then go black without going back to operating mode. If I press OK, then the camera will turn itself off. When turning on, it will also ask to set the Time/Date (like my other E-PM1 which loses the date setting as soon as it loses contact with the battery).

I tried with Rec Mode off and on, so this has nothing to do with the playback. I tried a firmware update. I was on on v1.2, so I had an upgrade available to v1.3. The upgrade installed easily, but made no difference to this problem. Currently, I am leaving the camera with battery out in the hopes that it'll completely reset itself... but don't really expect that to do much. This is probably a hardware problem, I think.

Has anybody else had this problem? I'd like to learn as much as I can before sending this camera off for repairs. As you all know, I am a very busy photographer and can't afford to be without my bodies for long.

I am considering replacing it with an E-PM2, but need to watch the budget. I was eventually hoping to get an OM-D, but each of my cameras have a place in my setup and I can't replace my Minis except with another Mini or Lite. So they all must be in working order.

Funny, my Minis have been my most problematic bodies ever (bad IBIS on one which was fixed by firmware update, inability to keep time on another which I just decided to live with, and now this...) but they are still my favorite darlings by design. :)

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't have that issue, but to me, the Pens in general have been the most problematic cameras I've had. I've only had 1 issue in owning about 25 Canons over 5 years (a stuck lens on one ELPH camera), but I've had an E-P1 die on me, a shutter repaired on an E-PM1 and had to return another E-PM1 for the date/time keeping issue. That's out of about 7-8 Pens (if I include the returned one). Then all the posts about OMD issues (buttons popping off, etc.) but they are still my favorite cameras to shoot with.

3. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Somewhere in the menus is a reset option. It is like system restore on a PC.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I've got a Pen Mini with exactly the same issue. It's most likely a stuck shutter...I'm sending mine in for warranty service .

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, that would make sense Zappa. Mine will probably end up going in I guess. My camera's in the studio but my boxes and receipts are God Knows Where, but I don't think it's possible for an E-PM1 to be out of the warranty period yet, right? If I recall, they weren't made until winter of last year.

Of course this had to happen to my Mini that was 100% good, not the one that wasn't keeping time and should have been sent in anyways... :(

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I tried the basic reset and it didn't do anything, but that wasn't the total factory reset either as I don't think it reset everything completely.

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    E-PM1 was released about this time last year. I did a full reset and held my breath while juggling four Leica M-9's....a stuck shutter is still a stuck shutter.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What if I just give it a shot of WD-40? ;) Just kidding...

9. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Is it dangerous to shot without a lens mounted? If it isn't, It would be possible to check if the shutter blocks in the closed position.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was just thinking of checking that actually! The photos actually come out fine when I take a shot, but the camera doesn't recover from it.

I'll see what it looks like without the lens when I get back from lunch, and let you know.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, I just took two E-PM1s and compared them shooting with no lens on. Operation of the shutter looks the same on both. With startup (where it closes then opens again) as well as with taking a shot. It's after the shot that the camera freezes up then eventually turns off (either if I leave it long enough or if I tap the shutter release or OK button).

I have also tried different batteries and SD cards... I don't think I mentioned that before.