1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 for nothing.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 180degreeshutter, Apr 7, 2013.

1. 180degreeshutter

180degreeshutter New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    Decided to buy an OM-D, after extensive research. Paid the extra £104 to get the 12-50 lens, with it, despite mixed review.

But wanted to get a better kit zoom, decided on 14-42 IIR (OM-D not available as kit with 14-42 here). Found one for £199 at Camarthen Cameras (UK site). Which is a good price for that lens anyway (and has since gone from their site).

But they were/are selling the E-PM1, INCLUDING, a 14-42 IIR for £199. I thought it was a mistake, but ordered, and it's arrived

So basically I've got a 14-42 IIR at a very good price, and an E-PM1 for nothing. If I combine the E-PM1 with maybe a Sigma 19mm I'll have a walking around camera that cost peanuts, maybe especially useful for anywhere a bit dodgy.

They're still advertising that deal, so worth getting if any of you were thinking of the 14-42 II R lens.

Oh yes, and the OM-D is lovely.

2. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

One of my local electronics stores (Fry's) has that same deal and I was sorely tempted, but overcame it. I still have my E-P1 as a backup to my OM-D. I don't need another camera! :)

Still, a great deal and a nice entry into MFT for new users.

3. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    thanks for this, my wife is looking for an mu43 camera and this looks ideal. Not to mention I wouldn't mind adding the 14-42 II R to our lens collection.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm a little confused because no matter how mixed the reviews for the 12-50mm may be it's still a generally better kit lens than the 14-42mm. It just sucks compared to the fabulous pro-grade kit lenses that were included with pro and semi-pro DSLR bodies like the E-1, E-3, and E-30, namely the Zuiko 14-54mm/2.8-3.5 and Zuiko 12-60mm/2.8-4. The OM-D E-M5 is considered "semi-pro" so had a higher expectation in kit lens.

But whatever... You got a fabulous deal on a fabulously compact second body and a lens to go with it! Nothing to complain about there!! You can put together a really compact kit with the Mini and 14-42mm when even the OM-D + 12-50mm is too big (even as small as that kit is, lol).

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    You can often pick up the 15mm body cap lens dirt cheap -- around $50 in the US, not sure about the UK. That combined with an E-PM1 gives you a nice pocket camera....

7. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    That's the setup I wanted - I picked up a second hand EPM1 with minor scuff marks for £90 and the bodycap for around £50, intending it to be a pocketable setup that came everywhere with me. It is that setup, but these days, I'm using the EPM1 for everything while the EPL3 I originally carried around with me stays at home for use with manual lenses (the EPM not having an easy button to zoom the screen).

EPM1 is a great little camera, I love mine.

8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    A lot of people here (including me) have configurated the record button for magnification (if that's what you mean). Works like a charm

9. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    I need that for AE lock, though :) Like I say, I keep the EPL3, with a couple of extra configurable buttons, for when I need to use manual focus. As my walkaround camera to use with AF lenses, the EPM1 is perfect.

10. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Paul
    Hi, a previous thread on here showed how to set up the INFO button for the magnify function.
    In menu, go to GEAR D.
    go to INFO SETTINGS
    go to LV-INFO
    set ZOOM to ON

Now you press the INFO button a few times until the green focus box appears. press the OK button to go into magnify and turn the wheel around the OK button to adjust the magnification level.

Hope you find this as useful as I have! frees up the red button for another function.