E-PM1 for a backup body/wife?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by erb3742, Oct 4, 2012.

1. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    I recently purchased the OMD E-M5 with the 12-50 and P20/1.7. In a few weeks I am traveling to Europe and thinking of getting the E-PM1 for the wife and to have as a backup body since Cameta has refurbs for $239.95 with the 14-42.

Is this still a deal or given the new E-PM2 is it worthwhile to wait for the better sensor?

Also torn with adding the 45/1.8 and the Samyang 7.5... I have certainly caught the addiction with this camera system!
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Just curious, what's a "backup wife"?

• Like Like x 6
  3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I would like to have a backup wife also.

I think the E-PM2 is a bit pricey for now. You can probably find a refurbished E-PM1 under $200.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That is a pretty great deal on the E-PM1. The new E-PM2 will definitely have a big jump in sensor performance, but you are paying more than double. Would you use the difference to fund the 45/1.8 or fisheye? If so, I vote for E-PM1.
  5. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Wish my wife had a backup body as well
  6. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    I have my E-PM1 as a backup and also for my wife to use. We just got back from our honeymoon in Italy and London. I often kept a lens on both and would swap cameras for the scene. I recently bought the Samyang 7.5 and really enjoy it. The 7.5 was on the PM1 a lot and the photos came out great, including lots of church interiors. As others said, the PM2 will probably cost at least twice what you can get the PM1 right now.
  7. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I don't know if I'd want a backup wife - I think one is enough.

In all seriousness, that is an awesome deal for an EPM1 but there are also great used deals in the forums if you search enough.

I got my EPM1 on this forum for $150.
  8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    In Europe the E-PM1 is now about 200 euro (body only) which I consider an absolute bargain. I bet in the US you can find it even cheaper. The combination of size + performance can't be beaten for the price (pressuming you want to stay with the :43: system).

Also you can't go wrong with the 45mm f/1.8. If the focal length suits your needs, that is.
  9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

If "backup wife" means a mistress, I wouldn't complain. :biggrin:

However, my wife would kill me.
  10. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    :rofl: "Backup wife" should have seen that coming!

I went with the refurb kit of the E-MP1 and ordered the 7.5 Rokinon! Thanks to all for the humor and helping me justify it.