E-PM1 Focus box not working??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuclearboy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Hello,

I am playing with my new E-PM1 and have started having trouble with the focusing box. Up until today, it has worked fine. I tied it to the REC (red) button and when I press that button, I get the green box, I press it again and it magnifies for focusing. Turning the dial at this point can change the size 5X... 14X.

Today, the button stopped working. I shut down the camera and restarted. Same issue. It worked again for a moment and then not. I suspected the button went bad so I changed it back to record and it worked fine. I changed it to live view, it brings it right up. I changed it back to magnify and nothing happens when I push it.

I reset the camera (full reset, without changing date) and reset everything and I get the same result. The focus magnification tied to the red button is not working.

Is there another option for focus magnification?

Is there an option that could be stopping this from working?

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Could you be in Movie Mode? Magnify won't work in that mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Definitely not in movie mode. I have tried it in P, A, S, and M.

4. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Update

I have found that repeatedly pushing the button ended up bringing the focus box up. Now it seems to work but not quite like it was.

A single push of the red function button typically does not bring up the focus box. Waiting 5 seconds and pushing it again also does not work. If I push it twice in rapid succession, the box comes up.

Yesterday, pushing it once always brought the box up. I would think that the button itself is somehow bad but when I switch the button function to something other than the focus magnification, it seems to work.

It appears that this particular camera is a little inconsistent with this feature. I may send it back for repairs because if I click the battery out and in, I also loose the date every time as some have reported. Apparently Olympus will replace a board under warranty that fixes this. Perhaps that will help with my focus box inconsistency too.

Does anyone know what the turn around time is for a camera warranty fix through Cameta??

5. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Date Loss on Battery Change - A "normal function"????

Just received a response from Cameta on service. They told me that the focus lock issue could be a problem and I should send it in for that. On the loss of date data on battery disconnect, they added the following (a direct quote).

however the date/time issue that many people have been noting is actually deemed “normal function:” by Olympus on their units.

Wow, a normal feature.

Just to be clear,
    Cameta customer service is being very helpful. They will of course take the camera back and send me another if available or a refund. They will also work with me to fix the problem if possible and send to olympus if necessary.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    If you're talking about the date & time loss on battery change issue, it's *not* a normal function. I had an EPM1 (Cameta refurb) that developed this problem while still under Cameta's warranty. The rep I spoke with was familiar with the issue and told me that Olympus' fix for this is to replace the circuit board. I sent the camera in, and it was repaired correctly. Try speaking to another, hopefully more knowledgeable Cameta rep. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Thanks, I will plan on doing that and hopefully get this fixed.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Oh, I forgot to mention that when they replace the circuit board, all the info on shutter count, etc. is zeroed out. So ... if you want to keep track of the actual shutter count on your EPM1 body, be sure to record the info before you send the camera in.

Fortunately I had posted my EPM1 for sale, so I'd taken a photo of the shutter count screen. Then the body started losing the date & time on battery change, so when the camera came back repaired but claiming to have a shutter count of zero, I had the photo handy. :smile:

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Low-fi

Low-fi New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    California
    Hi,

I agree that this sounds like a problem with the camera itself. I have my E-PM1 set up the same way (record button for magnification). Like you mentioned, it normally takes two presses, one to bring up the green box which indicates the area of the frame you will see in the magnified view, and another press to zoom.

The thing that has caught me off guard a few times: I forget to press the "OK" button to cancel magnify mode. The camera doesn't revert back automatically after taking a photo, so button & dial function is affected until you exit this mode. From what you're describing, this doesn't sound like the issue with your E-PM1, but I thought I'd throw that out there for what it's worth.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  10. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Sent back and got replacement

I received another camera from Cameta. This one works great and the battery swap date loss issue is fixed too.

I love Cameta camera. They have great customer service and these refurbished cameras they sell are in great condition with low shutter counts (less than 50 in both cases).

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Great news! When I sent mine in, the Cameta rep told me they had to stop just replacing cameras, because the replacements Olympus was sending them had the same problem! So instead, mine went from Cameta to Oly for repair. I guess they finally got Oly to send them replacements that had actually been fixed! :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!